Sunday 26 April 2015

Of Rolex And Nato / Zulu Straps

Pursuant to my earlier entry @ http://andywristwatches.blogspot.com/2015/04/dream-team-10-watches-for-collection.html, I had quite a few e-mails asking if it wasn't too boring and playing too safe to have 3 Rolexes in my Dream Ten. One reader even wrote, "All 3 of the watches looked the same! Boring with a capital B!"

Well, to me, they all have their own characters. This is how I reckon.

The Submariner Classic is a great go-anywhere type of watch that would simply looked not out of place anywhere- be it at the office, at a cocktail function, or by the beach. True, at any one of those places, a quick glance around would have quite a few others wearing the Submariner Classic too. It was just that common. That was why I matched mine with the Tudor Black Bay's Nato, and the Tudor shield buckle added that extra oomph! to the Submariner Classic's character to have it stand out just that lil' bit extra.



The Submariner Hulk is an amazing piece to me, and I simply love the beauty and boldness of Rolex experiencing with the green ceramic bezel onto the green dial. There seems to be a different shade of green depending on how the light caught on to the dial. I searched online for pictures of the Submariner Hulk and saw quite a few interesting ones (copyright belongs to the respective owners) as per the following :





As you could see, the Submariner Hulk seemed to be a ladies favourite too. I would want to enhance its masculinity by pairing it with a Zulu Camo, and the one that came closest to what I have in mind was from Hadley-Roma USA. I can't find any pictures of the Submariner Hulk matched to a Camo strap; but rest assured that when I get my hands on my very own Submariner Hulk, I shall share pictures of the pair together.


As for the Explorer 2 Black, I thought that it was the most playful and adventurous of the lot- with its fixed stainless steel bezel and bright orange GMT hand. I had in mind to pair the Explorer 2 Black with the Zulu Bond, re-creating the scene from Sean Connery's James Bond where he had his Submariner Classic worn with the Nato Bond. Somehow, being an adventurous watch, I thought that the Explorer 2 Black would be a better recipient to be matched with the Bond strap.


There are new examples selling through grey retailers vide Mudah, but what I would like to get were pre-owned examples that were mostly safe queens and released by fellow collectors. I have been saving bit by bit; and when the opportunity arises, I shall then be ready.


3 comments:

  1. You definitely have good taste in matching your watches and straps, Datuk Andy. So much could be learnt from your blog here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jérémie Amacher1 May 2015 at 16:52

    Ich bin in Thailand für einen Urlaub. Sind Sie bereit, Ihre 116610LN mit meiner 116610LV auszutauschen? Ich kann nach Malaysia nach meiner Thailand Urlaub fliegen und wir treffen uns bei Rolex Service Center für unsere Uhren Überprüfungen. Wenn beide echt sind , dann tauschen wir. Ich bevorzuge den klassischen Look , und das grüne ist ein Geschenk. Sind Sie offen für die Idee ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Completely Agree With@Anonymous & Thank You For Sharing Information........

    WatchBandGirl

    ReplyDelete