Tuesday 30 June 2015

Selling Wave Sweeps Across Asia

And that was the headline from Edge today. Bursa and other Asian share markets suffered a dip yesterday from the selling wave. Add in the 1MDB woes and the depreciation of RM of late, and the general sentiment in the local economy was increasingly less positive these few months. Sigh...


Since this was a watch blog after all, a recent visit to some watch boutiques revealed that sales had been sluggish. And with the depreciating RM and 6% GST, the resellers had no choice but to mark up their watches as their purchase costs had increased too. Discounts were much more controlled too in view that they needed to generate the bare minimum to keep the mortar and brick businesses in check.


My concerns were generally on business and economy these days, and choosing my daily wear had been a very straightforward affair. I would choose either of the Rollie siblings to accompany me through the daily challenges. The Sub on days when I could do with a bit of bling (the green dial was a beauty to look at), and the Explorer 2 on every other day.


The Pelagos sees some action on weekends, as I charged up its lume in the day and my sons loved watching the lume at night in the dark.


The Speedy Panda was my wife's de-facto sports watch since the day I brought it home- as it seemed to be too small on me and just just nice for my wife, bearing in mind that it was a growing fad for ladies to adorn larger watches these days.

The other watches generally see no action at all and just sit pretty in the winders and cases.

Going forward, I am considering flipping the Pelagos and ProMaster DepthMeter, to top-up for another Speedy. That way, both my wife and me could wear his-and-hers Speedy during some of our dates. I have the 42mm Moonwatch in mind, but let's just see until after the watches were flipped. 


As I frequently travel abroad, I could get the Speedy at the overseas ADs and save some monies in the process.

With the economy and local share market in the current sentiments, another WIS shared with me this morning that he would be mainly looking for good pre-owned watches in the secondary market instead of buying new watches. This way, he could still get his satisfaction from flipping watches, which was his second nature.

Let's all cross our fingers and hope that our economy pulls through intact. In the meantime, it could be best to listen to our beloved Deputy Finance Minister Ahmad Maslan's advice to self-cook non-GST fried rice at home for the additional savings. He could really goreng pretty well, couldn't he?


4 comments:

  1. Jangan me-ahmadmaslan-kan blog saudara. Saya suka baca citer kat sini, tapi kalau ada muka dia tu, frust gak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan kalau saudara nak flip, baik flip jam-jam lain dan simpan Pelagos ngan Speedmaster tu. Ni jam klasik buat masa depan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How much for Tudor Pelagos with Fedex to S'pore? S$4500 can ar?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent read, I just passed this onto a colleague who was doing a little research on that. And he actually bought me lunch as I found it for him smile So let me rephrase that: Thank you for lunch! from this source

    ReplyDelete