Wednesday 25 May 2016

Pick Of The Day

I didn't realised it until my missus remarked that I seemed to spend no time in picking my morning watches these days. She was a gym junkie and wakes up early every morning to hit the gym. While she was getting dressed, I would have dressed up in my work attire and would ponder for a couple of minutes on which watch was to adorn my wrist for the day. 


But of late, it had been more of a reflex action- I would inevitably pick the Rolex Hulk as my daily-beater; or the Rolex SDc if there was a more important meeting. The reason for the latter was because I noticed that every other person in the meetings would sport a Submariner on their wrists; but I have yet to see anyone with the more elusive SDc. So it inevitably became my personal choice during such meetings.


The funny thing was, many people remarked that the SDc was too thick to fit under the cuffs, and too heavy to wear comfortably. But those whom were critical of the SDc were also the same ones whom don't own this model. Most of them were Sub owners. I could understand the prejudice towards SDc. After all, both these watches utilise Rolex caliber 3135, had date functions, were of the 40mm genre, and were relatively similar to the untrained eyes. Yet, the Sub retails at USD8,550 while the SDc retails at USD10,800- so it was relatively easy to say that SDc was not worth the additional USD2,550 premium over the Sub. 

But the SDc was a champion in its own right. It could be used for diving depths 4 times to that of the Sub's, although that was irrelevant to most of us desk-divers. Further, real divers commonly use dive computer watches to assist their dives these days. It had a more symmetrical dial like that of the SubND, without the cyclops protruding like a sore thumb. It's matt dial looked deep and different- more toolish compared to the reflective Sub dial. And it's lug case looked so much more refined and smoother- not as though it was on steroids like the Sub's. It was heavier, no doubt about that- but I liked the heft and the domed crystal so all was well. And my SDc was still without a nary of a scratch (touch wood!), so that showed that you could wear it in good fashion too and it would fit under the cuffs.

With this insight, I also realised that I have yet to wear the Ball Engineer ii Genesis since the day I received it. It was still sitting brand new in the watch winder. Although, at nights, I would often walk over casually to see the Genesis spinning lazily in the winder. The 1mm-thick micro-tubes were simply like torches in the dark. Bright doesn't quite describe them. Hmmm...

3 comments:

  1. I have an unused Rubber B for SD4k for sale. Purchased at USD250. Already sold my watch, so willing to let go the strap at RM700 only. Interested?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, am interested to take over the Rubber B. Please send me an e-mail with your contact no. so that we could deal forward. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am back in Korea. I was staying at Mandarin Oriental near KLCC for holiday. If you are still interested, I could send by registered parcel, at my cost. It is Rubber B M103. Kamsahamnida.

      Delete