Friday 22 December 2017

In it For The Passion


I was waiting for a fellow watch collector i.e. David, whom was held up by traffic; so I took the time to go through some e-mails with relation to this blog. One particular one stood out as the tone of the writer was not that courteous. The e-mail was from a party that was interested in the Spacemaster Orbital 2. He was one of the early ones whom contacted me right after my advert. I wanted to let go the watch at RM13k, he offered to take it at my asking price so it was a fast deal. He was supposed to travel to KL to pick up the said watch.

Thereafter, there were no further news for a couple of weeks. In the meantime, I was turning down other inquiries as it was supposed to be a firm deal. I checked with him but he was non-responsive so I placed up the advert again and quickly got queries from other interested parties. I decided to go with a gentleman whom I felt comfortable liaising with over some messages. Once he confirmed that he would take up the watch in a week's time as he was from out of state and needed time to come to KL, I held on to the gentlemen's agreement and turned down other queries.

And just as I updated the Reserved (now Sold) status on the Spacemaster Orbital 2 in my previous blog entries, the initial buyer came back to me and informed me that he still wanted the watch after all. I apologised and explained that he had not responded to my queries and therefore I had found another buyer. Turned out that he saw an opportunity for a quick flip and was also looking for buyers. He had not responded to me initially as there had been no confirmed bite, but he had now received the deposit towards the watch and was therefore ready to take it now. I declined his offer politely, and he offered to share his profit 50 : 50 with me. He had found a buyer at RM15k so there was a RM2k profit there, so I would essentially go with RM14k if I proceed with his offer.

He got upset when I declined his offer again. The thing is, I am not a watch reseller and I don't make a profit from selling these watches. I buy watches and my satisfaction comes from handling these pieces, taking pictures, updating this blog of mine, and then flipping them off. I am not like some of the other collectors that buy watches and keep them with all stickers intact in a box, hoping to sell them at a tidy profit when the price appreciates some years later. My point is simple, if a collector could take a watch off my collection and give it real wrist times; by all means I would let it go to him or her if we have a confirmed gentleman's agreement. Others may offer me higher prices thereafter but once the deal was done, I would honour the deal.

There you have it- Collector's biggest secrets finally revealed!

And I was glad to have met David, whom was pretty passionate about his watches. And the fact that he was wearing a Gravity Master when he came to pick up the Spacemaster Orbital 2, I could gauge that he liked tough-as-nails watches and the Ball should get good wrist times with him.

Enjoy your new watch, mate!






And the parting shot when the 2 huge 45mm chrono watches bid each other goodbye.


No comments:

Post a Comment