Thursday 21 March 2019

Baselworld 2019 : Batman Returns



Well, it's the time of the year again for us horology fans! Baselworld 2019!


Well, this year, Rolex had a few offerings for us- and one of them was in the new Batman. I wrote about the likelihood of a new 126710BLNR equipped with Calibre 3285 similar to that of last year's Pepsi, and it was all spot-on!

A couple of calls to my AD associates later, I was informed that the current 116710BLNR stock had been discontinued for a while now, so the prices would likely surge on even more hereafter. I know that many of you had requested for the 116710BLNR from me, and I had only been able to get 1-2 pieces per month (unlike 10 pieces per month like that of last year); so chances were that the last 2 pieces that I would pick up during my overseas trip later this week would be the last new ones that I could pick up under the forties price tag.


I myself would be keeping my own 116710BLNR into the safe for a while now. And for many of you whom had previously received your 116710BLNR from me in the past, hold on to yours tight as you could be in for a good appreciation.


By the way, the largely-unloved 116710LN and 116713 had also been discontinued; so there could be some appreciation in prices too although I don't expect a big surge on these pieces.

And my AD would inform me after they get their hands on the 126710BLNR. I've asked them to try pairing the Oyster bracelet on the new Batman; and if it fits, then we would essentially be getting the Batman with an improved movement. How about that?


I am also attracted to the meteorite dial Pepsi, though the asking price would take some convincing to before I pull the trigger. I'll look at the real life example before making my mind on this one. Going forward, it'd seemed only a matter of the time before the Coke gets the makeover re-issue.


The rest of the Rolex offerings during the Baselworld 2019 weren't really that exciting for me. Sea-Dweller had always been the toolish piece compared to the Submariner, so having it in bi-metal kind of defeats the purpose of branding it as a toolish watch. 

If one wanted a more premium diver piece, the Submariner in bi-metal would have served the purpose.


I don't quite care for the Yatch-Master in 42mm stainless steel either. This had always been the classic  piece, so the 40mm size would have suited it better in my humble opinion.

So there you have it, dear readers. From the above new offerings, the one that I would likely add on to my collection would the the Batman and Meteorite GMT.

No comments:

Post a Comment