Monday 20 April 2015

Rarity Today : Vintage Rolex Datejust Box from 70s - 80s



Rolex watch boxes have evolved greatly over the years to transform into the plastic wavy green box of today. Throughout times, they had a specific look and feel, which was luxurious by those times' standards. And a point to note was that while the watches themselves had not grown much in size, the boxes' dimensions had increased consistently over time.



I retrieved a Rolex green box from the past i.e. from 70s - 80s, that was utilised for the Datejust during its time. The seller whom I purchased my 1972 vintage Datejust previously, had thereafter found the original box that came with the watch and asked if I was interested in it; otherwise he wanted to peddle it off to other collectors for RM500.


I was interested in it and asked for a discount, since the box was supposed to come with the watch in the first case. Ultimately, he gave it to me for RM250, which was below the market given that a search vide e-Bay revealed that it could be auctioned off for a higher price.


The box was in fairly good condition given its age, and I bubble-wrapped it and kept it in my watch cabinet pursuant to retrieving the box from the seller. After a year now, I have taken it out to pass to another collector; but would take some pictures to share with all and sundry.


This was a genuine vintage Rolex box from 70s - 80s, and you could gauge that its dimensions used to be smaller compared to today's standards. The logo and lining in gold was still beautifully seen, and the svelte insides still untorn. This was Rolex quality, judging from the condition and upkeep of a box of 40 years' of age.

Rolex may carry a premium, but it's well-worth it. And for these vintage pieces, well, they just don't make them as they did no more.


2 comments:

  1. Very nice Rolex case there. Any possibility for a CONUS to Florida? Will offer $200 including shipping. Thanks for considering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, stranger. Thanks for stopping by my blog but the vintage Rolex box already had a new owner (whom I traded a watch with). I would check with him if he was interested in flipping the box. Cheers.

      Delete