Tuesday 5 July 2016

An Interesting Proposition : Rolex Sea-Dweller 1665 (1978)

Update : Spoken to the seller and watch was on hold, as he was based overseas and would meet at RSC to verify the 1665. I may liquidate some watches for funds towards this vintage piece, so look out for good deals coming your way vide this blog. Cheers.

I receive a no. of e-mails from time to time, and one of the more interesting one that came over earlier the week warranted a mention here, as per the following :


I Googled online and saw that the grandfather (SD1665) of the current SD116600 was a rather handsome piece. And since it was a vintage piece that was no longer in production; it would make quite a conversation piece too. The seller confirmed that it was NOT a double red, otherwise the would have been a bonus. He would only send me the pictures if I was really interested, so I took a look at pictures online to see what I should be expecting for a rather nice example of the SD1665.


I would probably have to flip my SD116600 to raise some cash towards the SD1665, if I was to take up on the offer. The SD116600 retails at RM38k; and a 2014 example on MWF recently took but a mere 2 days to sell at RM31k. Mine is newer and without a scratch, so I probably could get around that figure or northwards.

What do you think- would you let go off the avant-garde SD116600 for a vintage SD1665?

3 comments:

  1. Cool! Would be a conversation starter definitely

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. flip for it. The current Sea Dweller is too large and ugly. The old version with the patina is simply gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. flip for it. The current Sea Dweller is too large and ugly. The old version with the patina is simply gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete