Thursday 13 June 2019

In-coming : Seiko Monster Midnight Blue G4


I would admit that I liked the Seiko Prospex range. And in this range, was the Seiko Monster from G3 (3rd generation) onwards. The latest release in this range was the G4 (4th generation).


I wrote about the Seiko Jade Monster G3 some 3 months back @ https://andywristwatches.blogspot.com/2019/04/readers-wrist-seiko-jade-monster-g3.html. Back then, I was looking forward to the newer Seiko Monster G4 that was due to be released in the up-coming months.


And I recently flipped the Mon5ter Wave to a fellow reader whom flew all the way from Macau to collect this piece. What a fan of Seiko tasteful mods he was indeed!


I had a few readers requesting me to do another SuMMo mod, but I don't want to repeat the same project. The Mon5ter Wave mod had been one that I rather enjoyed; so I have acquired a different sold-out Kanagawa dial in order to do the next mod. 


This dial had Day-Date, so I would need a Seiko base watch with Caliber NH36/4R36 for the day-date function.


And lo and behold, the Seiko Monster G4 had the very movement that was required and a call from the AD on the arrival of the Monster G4 (black and midnight blue dials) had me at the shop in a jiffy!

From the above 2 Monster G4, the one that was more striking was the Midnight Blue version. Retailing at RM2k, I soon had it out of display case and tried it out on my wrist. It was a rather handsome piece, although the angular Cyclops over the Day-Date might take some time to warm up to.








I rather fancied the straight, rectangular indices of the G4 and asked if it was possible to order for the JDM version. This was the version that was normally sold in the domestic market and would have the Made-in-Japan reflected on the dial. Model no-wise, the JDM version was called SBDY033J1 as opposed to the international version's SRPD25K1. 

Online prices for the 2 models were RM2,540 vs RM1,500 respectively, with the JDM version commanding a RM1,040 premium.



Anyway, I've made an order towards the JDM Monster Midnight Blue G4, so let's take a look at the piece when it arrives in due course. We would then decide if the Kanagawa Day-Date dial would be modded into this piece to create the Mon5ter Wave2. Keep your eyes peeled hereabouts :)

No comments:

Post a Comment