Sunday 23 April 2017

G-Shock : Why So Serious?

I received an e-mail from a reader whom asked why was my collection so lacking in terms of G-Shock; and by this, he meant the premium G-Shock pieces such as the following :




The truth was, I'm not a die-hard G-Shock collector like some others were. Heck, my first piece of G-Shock got to me by chance even. It was in the nineties, and I was working part-time in a college as a tutor of sorts. After classes, I would normally take the bus to visit my girlfriend in another part of town. (NB : My spouse swings by this blog sometimes.)



On one of those days, I got down from the bus and realised that there was a watch near the side of the road. It had been ran over by some vehicles, and looked spoilt; but I ventured forward and picked it up before running back to safety. And that was the classic DW-6600. The resin and crystal had seen better days, but it was still working and there was no Internet like the way we have today, that would enable the search for its owner to be viraled; so I nursed it back to as good a condition as I could possibly could. 


In those days, there was no spare parts readily available like today, so I just wore it in its war-torn condition for a good many years.



It would be a decade later, before I would start purchasing G-Shock watches; and the ones that truly caught my attention were the Mudman, Riseman, and Rangeman.




The Rangeman was such a workhorse that I hadn't felt a need to replace it with the newer pieces in the similar Master of G series. In fact, the 2007 Mudman was a pretty small G-Shock in comparison to today's G-Shock sizes; so much so that I picked up a 2009 NOS recently and it's now my son's favourite go-to watch. When it comes to G-Shock, I tend to just sock it. Why so serious?

No comments:

Post a Comment