Monday 8 April 2013

Seiko 5 Dress Watch 30mm (Model : SNY007J1)


I was in Jakarta when I came across the above advert in Mudah for a Seiko 5 watch that looked like it was from the 60s - 70s. I texted the seller for more information with regards to his Seiko 5, whom in turn informed me that the watch was a present from his father and that it was sent to him without the box or warranty card. As such, he was unaware of the model no. except for the engraving "703086" at the rear case back.

That was the serial no, so I now knew that it was produced in October of 1967/1977 or 2007. I deduced 2007 as it would be a re-interpretation of the earlier era watches. Watches from the 80s - 90s generally were not in similar guise as per this example. If it was a "new" watch from the 60s - 70s at this price, I just got to buy this baby over.

I started to Google for more information about this watch, but I couldn't find any references to this watch from the 60s - 70s. The design was reflective of the era, but somehow the bracelet buckle was too modern in comparison. So the only other direction was that the Seiko 5 was from 2007; and once I made that deduction, voila, I found out that the watch's model no. is SNY007J1.




This was a dress watch that was a re-interpretation of the earlier 60s Seiko watches. With a relatively small dial of 30mm, it was on sale on Malldeluxury at SGD82.97. While the looks of this retro-like watch was quite handsome in a subtle manner, it suddenly lost its appeal to me knowing that it's just a dress watch.



 

Oh well, there would be other fishes in the ocean. The hunt for another interesting timepiece continues hereforth...


1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete