Saturday 10 May 2014

Retro-fitting Bracelet for Tag Heuer Kirium Ti5

Further to my posting on the Tag Heuer Kirium Ti5 @ http://andywristwatches.blogspot.com/2014/04/tag-heuer-kirium-ti5-model-no.html, the timepiece had been sent to an experienced watchsmith for servicing and modification works.

The original strap was available from the AD but if I were to change the rubber strap, the strap may harden again and break over time, so I had to look for a longer-term solution, which was to retro-fit a bracelet for the said Kirium Ti5.

I had searched online and the problem I faced was pretty common amongst the Kirium Ti5 collectors. Some would buy used original rubber strap over and again; some would buy replacement rubber strap that was all over eBay Hong Kong (which IMHO made the looks of the avant-garde Kirium Ti5 inferior as the replacement strap looked like a Casio strap); and some would retro-fit stainless steel bracelet for the Kirium Ti5. The most commonly-used bracelet was the Seiko diver bracelet, which just doesn't quite cut it for me.

I told the watchsmith that I don't mind him taking a longer time to search for a deserving and matching bracelet, but I would like it to be also a Swiss bracelet (since the Kirium Ti5 was a Swiss watch after all) and that it must taper nicely from the case. It was harder to fulfil the second request given the original shape of the case.

Well, it took a good several weeks but the Kirium Ti5 was now safely back in my hands and the results simply looked great. If I didn't know any better, I would have thought that it came originally like that!

Do tell me if you liked it too? I dare say that the RM600 that the watchsmith charged for the bracelet and retro-fitting works, was well-worth the price as this would be long-term solution. Some of my friends thought that the bracelet came stock with the watch; that was how good it looked together!


10 comments:

  1. Woah, your Tag Heuer titanium looks really wicked! That looks like a Tissot or Swiss Army bracelet. Was it expensive to modify into your Tag Heuer? I am in Sydney and have a non-titanium Kirium, but I like to modify the bracelet just like yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't cause an arm and a leg, if that's what you meant. But finding the exact donor whom could be retro-fitted directly to the Tag was an adventure by itself.

      Delete
  2. James from Brighton here. Can you share on the process of getting that bracelet to fit into the Kirium watch? I am in the same shoe that you were in. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could imagine that there must be quite a fair bit of us Kirium owners frustrated by the broken rubber straps. The process was simple :
      1) Run through tens of bracelets to find one that could fit (quite a few could fit but some don't look natural against the titanium, and some looked plain ugly);
      2) Fit it in :)

      Delete
  3. Nice work there! Totally look as if it were made to be together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, mate. Really meant lots especially when it's from an enthusiast as yourself :)

      Delete
  4. Any chance of identifying that strap OI live in Dubai and need to change a broken rubber strap. It looks great by the way. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Any chance of selling the watch? I am ready to offer INR80,000 inclusive of postage and insurance. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where can I buy the strap online? Looks great? Do you know the dimensions?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I hope you still get a notification of my post, is there any way you could perhaps tell me the watch this strap comes off. I have had a look around and it seems the closest I could find was the following (women's watch strap) :

    Swiss Army Brand 22mm Stainless Steel Metal Summit XLT Watch Band 000782

    The dimensions are: 22mm width at the top/9.2mm where it goes into the watch.

    I would appreciate any help or advice.

    ReplyDelete