Tuesday 17 July 2018

What If Speedmaster Didn't Make The Cut?


I saw a watch enthusiast asking the above question, and thought about it myself. Well, for about 5 minutes anyway; so these were just some random quick thoughts.

Omega has 2 parts to fame- its renown Speedmaster range, and Seamaster. I believe that most of us WIS would have owned both these models. Personally, while I have had a few Seamaster (300, PO, PO Chrono), I find that the Rolex Submariner is still the better piece, albeit at a higher price range, compared to the Seamaster.



Come the Speedmaster, I have been in awe with it due to its space connection. Currently, I still have the Panda (having flipped the conventional MW); and am waiting for the ordered CK2998 and Ultraman. If Omega does not have the space connection, then very likely I might not have that awe feeling towards the Speedmaster.


Take the Daytona for example. It's a nice piece, and I have had pieces coming in and out of the collection. I still retain a piece with diamond dial at the interim period; but I don't feel the need to have a few pieces of Daytona in various guises, in my collection. IF it had that space connection, I guess it could be a very different story altogether.


Other space watches that I had included the Ball Hydrocarbon Spacemaster Orbital II. I have no doubt that this model could really survive and thrive well in space. But it does not have the space history like that of the Speedmaster, so to me, it's just another piece of nice-looking watch that would be flipped after it lost its lustre.

These were the other watches under consideration by NASA then, and Omega made the cut. The rest was history, of course.





No comments:

Post a Comment