Sunday 3 February 2019

Disco Day-Date



I'm a serial flipper- readers would knew about that. But all these while, I had been keeping an eye for collectible vintage pieces from the 70s - 80s disco golden era. The ones that I had included the Datejust and Submariner.


So when I was informed that a vintage Day-Date in unpolished condition was currently under-going a full servicing and its owner intended to flip it thereafter, I knew that I had to make a quick offer towards that piece. However, I made sure that it was using Caliber 3055, which was more current, reliable, and had the quickset function for easier date usage.


The fact that it had the more tasteful Roman white dial instead of the typical gold-on-gold Uncle dial, was an added bonus. In a way, this piece actually looked the combination of both of Dad's Seiko Fives @ https://andywristwatches.blogspot.com/2019/02/dads-seiko-fives.html.


I made a quick research on how much would a similar vintage piece fetched in the current market. Fellow watchsmiths shared with me that while modern Day-Date pieces tend to take a beating in terms of secondary market value, vintage ones had been enjoying a surge in market value given the trend towards collecting vintage pieces in recent years.



That's that then. Pretty excited about adding this piece into my collection soon. Keep your eyes posted on the updates in due course, dear readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment