Friday 6 June 2014

Con Job : Install Additional Bracelet Link


I was mad as a hatter earlier. I felt that the bracelet links that were removed yesterday had the watch a tad too tight as I normally prefer a looser feel around the wrist. Hence, I popped into a watch shop over lunch to have the chap install an additional link into the bracelet.


It was a 1-minute job. The chap kept remarking that it was an expensive watch and asked if it cost more than RM10k. I replied that I wasn't sure of the actual price. I was actually busy eyeing another Seiko diver watch model no. SKX009J1 in his shop, and wanted to get him to show me after installing the bracelet link.

Imagine my nasty surprise when he informed me that he had to charge me between RM20 - RM50 for the bracelet link job, as it was a Swiss watch. I told him that I had had the same service at other watch shops before and were only charged RM5 for the 1-minute job. He then told me that he also charges RM5 per job for Japanese watches; but for Swiss watches, they charge according to a percentage of the watch's purchase price.

No wonder he was asking if the watch cost above RM10k. I told him that I would only pay a ceiling price of RM10 for that job. If he's not happy, he could remove the link and I would still pay him the RM10.


He decided that he was pushing his luck and I ain't buying his crap, so he told me that he would give me a discount this first time but the next time, he would have to charge a minimum of RM20 per link. I thanked him but told him that I would not be back to his shop henceforth.

Needless to say, I didn't ask to view the Seiko SKX009J1 in his shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment