Friday 6 June 2014

Pulled The Trigger : Seiko Pepsi-Bezel 200m Diver (Model No : SKX009J1)


I wanted to get the so-called Pepsi bezel and there were quite a few options available. The nicest and most expensive option was of course, the Rolex GMT Master II.


Another option that I was interested in was the Steinhart Ocean 1 GMT.


And finally, what was commonly-referred to as the poor man's Rolex Submariner i.e. Seiko SKX009.


Having been on a sale and purchase frenzy of sorts recently, my wife would probably make mincemeat of me if I went about spending circa RM30k on a watch right now, when I had already added the 2 pieces of Edox timepieces into my collection last month.

No Sirree, what I needed was something cheap and cheerful to scratch that Pepsi itch for the interim period.

I have a new love for Steinhart's quality at an affordable price, and the Ocean 1 GMT costs circa RM1.5k which was relatively wallet-friendly. However, the model was out-of-stock due to non-availability of the ETA movements for Steinhart.

That leaves the Seiko SKX009 and it comes in 2 models- J (made in Japan) and K (elsewhere), which are further broken down into 4 types of straps i.e. leather, rubber, stainless steel jubilee and stainless steel oyster. The J model obviously comes at a premium given its higher standards of manufacturing and high labour cost.







Now, which one do you think would tickle my fancy? Well, I have just pulled the trigger and it shall be coming in the courier real soon, my fellow readers...

Keep your eyes peeled on this spot, mates.

(And in case you're the impatient type, the answer is in the title actually, LOL).

3 comments:

  1. I just bought the SKX009K1 Korean version (or so the salesman said) at a watch shop in Mid Valley for my boyfriend. The watch was retailing at RM1,000 plus but after discount, I managed to get it at RM850 only. Nice watch and good price. I like the "stainless steel oyster" you mentioned but it felt very flimsy, not like the Rolex diver watch that his father gave him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete