Saturday 21 January 2017

Ball Engineer 2 Genesis : New Shoes



I ordered this custom-assembled Ball Engineer 2 Genesis during Ball's 50th Anniversary model launch late last year. It came with bracelet or leather strap options; and my plan was to order the bracelet and swap it with a leather thereafter.




After the watch was sent from Swiss, I would soon find out that finding a matching strap was not as easy as initially thought as the lug size was at a rather rare 21mm. Prior to the watch's arrival, I had ordered a calf leather in blue dye, which ought to match the Genesis rather nicely. However, due to the strap being a 22mm, there was a little resistance when paired to the watch. Not a deal breaker, but the search for a good matching strap continues.



Without a good strap and not wanting to scratch the bracelet, the watch was left largely unworn in the watch winder. Searching a 21mm watch strap with good, soft leather proved to be an interesting process. I went to quite a few shops and the options were either 20mm or 22mm, both of which was not the best fit.



Expanding my search through the social media, I was offered a new IWC 21mm soft calf leather strap, which was initially meant for a Flieger. I thought that there was no harm purchasing it, as I could retro-fit the strap to my Archimede Flieger A if it proved to be not suitable for the Ball Genesis. The straps above soon came vide the courier, and I wasted no time in putting on the new shoes on the Genesis.





Lo and behold, the IWC Flieger strap was a great fit paired with the Genesis. The width was a perfect fit, the leather was soft on the wrist, and it looked as though it was meant to be paired in this manner right from the factory floor.




I am generally satisfied with the current setup, and it would looked as though the Genesis could earn some actual wrist times after the wrist shots above. What do you think of the Genesis' look above, dear readers?

1 comment: