Monday 1 October 2018

Daytona : A Racing Pedigree

I met a watch collector, whom was also an avid reader here, during a watch meet yesterday evening. He spotted my Daytona Diamond and asked me about my preference towards the Daytona, as he had noticed me flipping off Daytona in various guises on my blog.

I tend to buy watches of personal interest. Therefore, when it came to chronographs, I tend to go for Rolex Daytona (racing pedigree) and Omega Speedmaster (moon watch pedigree).

One of my preferred variation in the Daytona series is in the TT guise below :





The standard black dial made it very classic and wearable, and the diamonds gave it the extra bit of elegance and indulgence such that although it might be a sports watch, it would not looked out of place at a cocktail party. I liked the sporty dress watch combination on days when I could only sport a single watch between events. Matched with a sporty black-with-red leather strap, it truly stood out as an esteemed piece in my collection. At RM78k, I would deemed it as a good buy for a very versatile piece.


The polar dial with ceramic bezel above was another very exclusive piece. This colour combination kind of transformed it into the panda dial, and it was a piece that would attract lots of wrist presence from afar. More so than the black dial with ceramic bezel, it was no wonder that the polar piece was going at a premium price of circa RM90k these days.




And if you have the budget to top-up, the WG variations as per below would make good additions in one's collection too. Note though that the WG variations would oft be mistaken as stainless steel variations, to the untrained eye. This was also part of the reason the previous all stainless steel model (with stainless steel bezel) was enjoying good price appreciation these days.




As it was, the Daytona series truly deserves a spot in a true collector's watch winder for all the right reasons.

2 comments:

  1. I bought the 116500LN at RM85000 and sold it for RM89000. Wore it for 2 months and still sold it at a profit. Beat that, man! The white dial really holds its price.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have a 6 month 116500LN black dial. Wore it sometimes, normal scratches. If you want it, cash RM83000, ok?

    ReplyDelete