Saturday 13 September 2014

Bell & Ross BR01-97 Reserve De Marche : Addition to Collection

This was the story of how I ventured into my first piece of Bell & Ross a while back. This blog entry was a little long in the tooth as I had not been wearing it much given its size.

Since most of the watches in my collection were Divers, should I have at least a piece of Aviation, especially since I was very much of a frequent business traveller on the friendly skies?


Yes, I was referring to the Bell & Ross BR01-series. Inspired by the instruments adorning flight cockpits, BR watches were known to be precise and masculine tool watches that were machined with a high degree of care and quality. I liked the original BR01 series as these were the pioneer pieces that caused a stir with its 46mm squarish dial cases- not many people could carry these huge pieces on their wrists so BR had started a BR03 series that was smaller with 42mm cases.

A while back, I was looking at the BR01 in the display cases, and a particular model caught my eye ie BR01-97 Reserve De Marche. As evident in its name, it came with a power reserve indicator to keep its wearer informed on the status of the energy remaining in the handspring of the watch. Movement was via the dependable Swiss workhorse i.e. ETA 2897, which was acclaimed for its durable construction, reliability and excellent time-keeping; with sweep second hands and a rapid adjustable date.



There were 2 variations as observed from the BR site i.e. Stainless Steel and Pink Gold. The latter was limited to 250 pieces worldwide and with an RRP : USD26,000 (RM83,134), would remained a watch that I could dream about sometimes.


No, I needed something that was more down-to-earth and the Stainless Steel version would suit me just fine. Its RRP : RM16,300 seemed very much more wallet-friendly when compared to its Pink Gold sibling's.


BR utilized an elongated rectangular watch box, and the only comparison that I had from my collection was the SevenFriday P3 watch box that I received from Switzerland. However, the BR box was very much more luxurious and well-constructed in comparison.



Opening the outer and inner cardboard would revealed the leather-bound box, and once opened further, there sat the BR01-97 RDM looking pretty handsome in its compartment.




Below the compartment holding the watch was another compartment holding the velcro strap and 2 pieces of watch-opening tools. All accessories were wrapped up fully so you could gauge if it was a new piece or previously used.


I opened up the tools to gauge if it was easy to take off the strap. Verdict : It ain't hard at all.


But the velcro strap was an (European) XL version and was not able to fit my wrist properly, so the velcro strap would be catch-and-release.



The stainless steel case felt very robust to the touch, and I liked the shiny properties of the stainless steel. Due to its large dial face, the time was very legible and even my fellow passengers in the Business Class should be able to tell time from my BR from some seats away.







The BR rubber strap has a huge surface cover; and compared to the vulcanised rubber strap from Ball Hydrocarbon, I believe the latter felt more premium and comfortable in comparison. I would also like to try an Isofrane Italy on the BR01, but the Isofrane's price was at quite a premium so I'd sleep over it.

I shall also be adding some genuine Taikonaut BR straps soon as per the following :



After all, BR was all about playing with various strap combinations. If these handsome straps were in stock and could be couriered safely to Malaysia, I shall be putting the original BR rubber strap as a catch-and-release too.





It may be an unplanned addition to my collection, but a pleasant surprise nonetheless. Truly a piece of keeper, and I am thinking of wearing this BR for my meeting with President SBY for the coming Monday. Looks like I'll be having fun with this BR01-97 in my collection.

And when paired to the BR optional stainless steel table stand, the BR could be utilised as a table watch too.


And for any of you readers interested in pre-owned units, I saw from Mudah that there were 2 pieces selling at circa RM10k as per the following :



Incidentally, today was the BR Call of Duty Get-together at Beast and Bar, Intermark, Kuala Lumpur between 12.00 - 3.00 pm. Anyone interested in joining, please register asap.

In the meantime, let's all wear our Bell & Ross in good health.


4 comments:

  1. Good watch you have chosen for yourself there. I bought one for USD4,500 not long ago and have been wearing it more than my IWC and Panerai. Bell & Ross watches will grow on you over time. Mark my words. I started with 1 piece, now I have 3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen the one from TWG and it was about 4-5 years old, but still looked new. They wanted RM10,000 for it. A bit pricey if you asked me. If they had agreed to RM9,500, I would have bought it. I ended up buying a new set for RM13,855; and it's one of my fave watch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete