Monday 24 March 2014

Confirmed Purchase : Steinhart Ocean Forty-Four

My purchase from Steinhart was made under the following motivations :

1) I wanted a Swiss movement in the timepiece. No doubt the brand is Teutonic but importantly, the watches are Swiss-made and I prefer the ETA 2824-2 with 25 jewels which are known to be reliable and dependable workhorses.

2) The Ocean Green that I ordered yesterday was utilizing the ETA 2824-2 movement, which was great. However, it was on back-order and it could be months before my place in the queue comes to fruitation. Plus the aluminium green bezel was reportedly easy to be scratched from online reviews.

3) I then decided that it may be a good idea to switch to the Ocean Black DLC. It was essentially the same watch as the Ocean Green, but it had been subjected to the Diamond Like Carbon Coating process, rendering it to be much more scratch-resistant. However, the aluminium black bezel had the same problem as my consideration above. I wrote in to Steinhart if they could install the ceramic black bezel (Euro 30 option) for me straightaway as the changing of the bezel was not a straight-forward affair as per other divers' watches. However, the ceramic black bezel was out of stock.

4) As I was thinking about it, I realized that the Ocean Forty-Four was utilizing the ETA 2824-2 movement AND the bezel was a sapphire crystal one. Voila, it had all the pros that I wanted in a watch, and I needn't spend extra on optional upgrades. And yes, it was in stock!

I quickly surfed for some online reviews and there were many positives ones- in fact, fans of the Ocean Forty-Four were happy that its bracelet was broader and not tapered inwards as per the Sea-Dweller's; and therefore improved upon an already great watch.

I also read how it was quickly out of stock and how many paid to be in the queue. And seeing that the stars were aligned perfectly and it was just in stock, I quickly changed my order and made the necessary payment.

Now I have to wait for 8 working days (hopefully on time) to get my hands on the Sea-Dweller, I mean Ocean Forty-Four. Excited? You bet I am!

 

2 comments:

  1. Nice purchase! I own a Rolex DSSD and a Steinhart Ocean 44. For its price, I'd say that the Ocean 44 is really worthwhile to get. Enjoy yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you received your Steinhart? Review please.

    ReplyDelete