Friday 21 March 2014

Vintage : Pagol Sub-Second Date (Model No : 3055)

It has been approximately a year since I updated my blog prior to yesterday, and there had been a couple of pieces that came into my collection during the period. I would be updating these in my blog from time to time hereafter. Some of the pieces were bought with my hard-earned monies, some gifts from my family members and some through trading with watch collectors.

A piece that I am particularly proud to have in my collection is the Pagol Sub-Second Date. This is a vintage watch that my father had kept by the side during his watchsmith days; and while I am unsure of its exact manufacturing date, it must be approximately 40+ years now. There would have been more pieces too (one that I remembered fondly was the Swiss-made Royal in a very strikingly-beautiful green dial); but I had took many pieces apart when I was a very young boy during my primary and secondary school days. The watch tools in my father's work drawers proved too much of an allure and this was one of the pieces that he had kept away from that drawer and hence survived my curious "dissection" days.

The Pagol is a manual winding watch, and sized at 34mm (minus the crown). The case is gold-plated at 10 micron with the date display at 3 o'clock position. It is very thin, and even the rear case sticker is still stuck on the case just the way that it was when it left Pagol's factory in Switzerland from day one!

The original Pagol leather strap was worse for wear having been kept for over 40 years, so I had to change to after-market reptile leather strap in order to ensure that the watch was wearable.

It is actually very small when worn on my wrist; but my father believes that it was just because I am used to seeing the bigger watches that I have. This was the norm man-size watch during the mechanical watches' heydays.

It is hard to believe that this vintage watch is still ticking happily away and keeping perfect time, although it is already almost half a century old. Just shows that the good stuff of the yesteryears truly lasts.

Here is another example of a Pagol model no. 3055 that I have found over the Net belonging to a vintage watch collector in Indonesia. Funny that I couldn't find many of these on Google actually. Any other readers with such a vintage piece out there?


3 comments:

  1. I have one vintage pagol watch, manual winding, from the model 3057. It was handed down to me from my father. He said that the watch was bought in the year 1979.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have one vintage pagol watch.may i know market price for this watch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Ive just stumbled across a pagol 20 atmos automatic mens watch. Im curious about the watch and any information would be appreciated. Thanks Ian leonw6@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete