Sunday 23 March 2014

Online Reviews : Steinhart Ocean Black DLC

 
About 6 months ago I discovered THE WATCH for me on the internet. I instantly fell in love. But my heart was broken when I saw the price tag: €10k and it was already sold out. It was a Rolex Submariner modded by Project X designs - to be precise it was the submariner mod mark IV (PROJECT X LIMITED EDITION STEALTH MK IV customized ROLEX 116610LN) - I think I'm not the only one here on WUS that was after exactly that look... So I started looking for a watch that looks like THE ONE but costs less. I discovered the thread started from West Goat with his Steinhart OBDLC with a ceramic bezel insert. After reading lots of positive stuff about Steinhart I decided to order it and after a little wait I got mine... my precious.... mine ... mine...

Even though other WUS members reported that Steinhart doesn't do it I got my ceramic bezel already installed on the watch (even though I didn't even ask for it to be installed) so I had no silicone-spray adventure to get the aluminium one off.

Another surprise was the fact, that my date wheel was white instead of black. At first I wanted to have it changed but luckily Steinhart didn't have any watches left and the long wait to get my watch either exchanged or the datewheel changed was no option as I didn't want to give my newly acquired great watch away... and by coincidence - with a white date wheel it even looks more like the watch from project x. Of course, with white lume rather than C3 it would fit better but I still like it the way it looks.

Of course I changed the strap to a NATO strap. a) i don't like metal bracelets b) it just looks way cooler on this watch and more badass and c) it even more looks like the mark iv from project x.

Now my review (and I have to say: Steinhart didn't let me down - a great watch)

42mm is the perfect size for me. Just feels right. And the whole watch feels right. Couldn't find any flaws on the coating or elswhere. If you want to be picky you could say that the S on the crown (when screwed in tightly) is not perfectly upright, same for the back of the watch (still love the design adn the fact it's DLC coated too) and that the lume is not applied 100% perfectly in the middle of the markers. But that's all and doesn't bother me.

There are some design choices I would have made differently, but I knew what I've been buying and maybe other people just like it that way. White lume e.g. would have fitted the white writing on the dial better and I would have kept the whole watch matted (the sides of the watch an bracelet are shiny). Black hands (best swordhands) instead of alu would have been perfect imho - I'll see if i can find some that fit the eta and have them installed.

The bezel with ceramic insert looks great and has solid 120 klicks with no play and just turns perfectly.

I'm impressed by the ETA 2824-2. I'm now wearing the watch for about 2 weeks and it's about 0,5 sec/day too fast . Impressive. Hope it will stay like this after the watch is properly stabilized after some time wearing it.

The doomed crystal just looks great and was a perfect choice. No cyclops of course too. I don't really understand why Steinhart (and many others) puts a cyclops on a watch that doesn't even magnify well or at least close to the one from rolex.

To conclude: a great watch for the price. Even though Steinhart has some re-supply issues it's well worth the wait.

  

 Presenting my new Steinhart Ocean Black DLC with Ceramic Bezel! I have wanted an all black diver for a while and I really liked a lot that were out there. I tried a Deep Blue but it did not satisfy. Then I ran into a old friend…a Steinhart and fell in love! I'd never seen the Ocean Black DLC before and simply loved how it looked in pictures. When this arrived I found it even more stunning! For some reason these pics really don’t do the watch justice. The Vintage watch face on this all black watch is a fantastic combo. Oh, and don’t let me forget the Ceramic Bezel to cap this baby off. My quest for an all black watch is over and it didn’t break the bank! Black IS the new Black!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment