Wednesday 6 August 2014

New Acquisition : Glycine Combat Sub "Root Beer" (Model No : 3863.19AT2 C-LB7BF)

I told my wife that I'd swing by Mid-Valley to pick up a pair of Mont Blanc Starwalker writing instruments (as Mont Blanc calls them, the rest of us just say pens) that I have ordered a day before. A quick swap on the credit card and I was good to go.

What I hadn't anticipated however, was to lay my eyes on a pair of Glycine Combat Sub 'Root Beer'. I've always wanted to own a Root Beer watch but it's not common to see such watches these days. You could say that it was love at first sight, and the friendly salesperson informed me that it was a new arrival to the shop. A quick browse on the Glycine official site confirmed that it was a new reiteration of the Combat Sub range.



The friendly salesperson could see the sparkle in my eyes as I gazed at the Root Beer, and he offered me to try it on. I politely declined but he had already taken the trouble to undo the plastic wrapping on the watch, so the least I could do was to try it on.

It was truly a beautiful piece. And it was a rare piece- well, at least not a piece that you'd see everyday. I thought long and hard, then gave a quick call to my wife to ask if I could get an unexpected piece from the watch shop. Better to get her consent upfront rather than to risk getting an earful later. She checked the picture I sent her, and she liked it too.

And so the die was set. I whipped out another credit card and I have to make good of RM3.4k later the month. But the Root Beer really looked so good.

So I came home, had dinner and then took some photos with my mobile phone for the blog. The original distressed leather strap really looked rather convincing as a vintage piece and boy, was it soft to the touch! I didn't want to ruin it and quickly replace it with a pair of leather Nato. After all, I have quite a few pairs of 22mm NATO and Zulu straps in my watch cabinet.

So guess what watch am I wearing now... No prizes for the right answer though- it's way too obvious.


















And here it was next to its Diver buddies suited up in Nato too.



3 comments:

  1. I saw this same model at the authorised dealer shop at Bukit Bintang. Retailing at RM4,500 and at 15% discount controlled price. The boss said that not many shops got this model. GMT got more selections.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am interested in the same watch and went to the AD in your picture, but they said that they only had 1 piece from Glycine and it was sold last week (must be to you!). Btw, how did you get the discount to RM3,400? They told me that they could give me the older Combat Sub models (other colours) to me at that price, but if I ordered the newer-issued brown Root Beer one, it would attract a premium of RM1,100.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be willing to offer an extra RM100 to buy your piece, if you are willing to sell. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete