Thursday 2 October 2014

Planet Ocean 45.5mm XL : Should I Pull The Trigger?


Readers would know that I have just sold off my Omega Seamaster Professional 300m Chronometer aka Bond Seamaster) earlier the week, and am thinking of getting an Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean XL to take up its slot in the winder. The models that I had in mind, prior to walking into the AD, was either of the following :





Well, my AD was pleased as nuts to see me coming in and brought forth the models that I had in mind, plus the Liquid Metal (Omega's fancy name for titanium) Chronograph, which the salesperson thought that I should consider as I have been purchasing mainly 3-hand watches, so a chronograph should be a timely purchase by now, no pun intended.



So I lay down my much-loved Tudor Black Bay (I just so dig the Burgundy Red), and try on the watches that they brought out for me to try.




After trying the watches one by one, I must say that the Liquid Metal Chrono felt the most comfortable as it has the size but not the weight from the XL (stainless steel). They were all equally thick and I dare say that fitting one under my long-sleeve shirt cuff would be a trying affair.




My AD has proposed me a discount that I have yet to hear for the PO range. Seems that the market is moving slow these days and being a regular watch flipper, they were keen to capture my business for even more repeated purchases. I Googled online and the prices that were offered to me beats even the Net-based online stores. Wow!

Besides the money consideration, another more practical consideration was whether the XL size was good for me. I had a couple of diver watches bigger than the standard 40-42mm (my good size) such as the Citizen Eco-Zilla, Steinhart Ocean Forty-Four and Edox GMT-Class 1 Titanium; and they were just a tad too large to be worn on a regular basis.




Another watch on my watch list was my Heritage Black Bay's sibling i.e. Pelagos. It's very much a low-profile tool watch, very matt and under the radar, and has a lightweight feel due to its titanium build-up. And it's very much in my good size zone being a 42mm.


If you were in my shoes, what would you go for then? Food for thought.

3 comments:

  1. Canned all the proposed watches and wear the BB as your daily-beater! It's such a beautiful piece compared to the rest of the brutes! I have the BB Blue and am selling that off to get a BB Red soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In terms of beauty, I would rank 1) Black Bay Red, 2) PO Chrono, 3) Pelagos, 4) PO Orange, 5) PO Grey. I am in the market for a Black Bay Red and the prices in the used market seemed to be fixed between 8.5k - 9k, no thanks to the Tudor price increase in Sep.

    ReplyDelete