Monday 18 April 2016

Battle of My Divers : Tudor Pelagos vs Rolex Submariner Hulk vs Rolex Sea-Dweller Ceramic


No, I don't own all the divers above- from this picture, the ones that I have owned or still own, were Tudor Pelagos, Rolex Submariner Hulk, and Rolex Sea-Dweller Ceramic.

(NB : My Pelagos referred to the 1st generation i.e. 2-liner black dial, in which an ETA 2824-2 movement was utilised.)


Having owned a no. of diver watches from various brands utilising Swiss or Japan mechanicals, I could easily pick the ones that was truly a pleasure to own in my collection. One watch that really stood out and was up there in my diver throne, was the Tudor Pelagos.

The price was reasonable at MRSP : RM15k; it came with an innovative spring-loaded titanium buckle matched with a comfortable bracelet AND a rubber strap (no need to pay extra for Rubber B); and the bezel had a unique stopper at 12 o'clock such that if you were to push the bezel for a full round, you could sense the pressure change at that spot and therefore stop right at 12 o'clock, even with a blindfold on. I have amazed many onlookers with this neat trick- not many people including the owners, knew of this feature in the Pelagos.


I flipped the Pelagos last year at RM10k, and was to top-up the proceeds for a 2nd generation Pelagos, in blue no less. However, when I tried on the blue Pelagos (MRSP : RM16k) at the AD, I found the dial too cluttered with the 5-lines; a common complaint amongst its collectors. I decided that it would be a bit of chore staring at such a cluttered dial and moved on.


The reigning throne was thereafter taken by the Rolex Submariner Classic black dial (MRSP : RM30k), which was a nice diver watch that could be worn anywhere. However, I can't helped but noticed that in every function or meeting that I attended, there were sure to be a couple of others spotting the Submariner (in various guises- date or non-date, ceramic or non-ceramic). It was a very common watch with every Tom, Dick and Harry sporting the same watch.

Lo and behold, a reader offered a trade for my Submariner Classic with his Submariner Hulk (MRSP : RM33k). I pretty fancied the Hulk for my initial purchase if not for the higher premium and waiting list in KL. So I flipped the Submariner and the Hulk became my daily wear. I especially liked the green sun-burst dial; and it helped that green was a favourite colour of mine and there were less people sporting the Hulk in my business circles. Note that I mentioned "less", as every now and then, I found myself shaking hands with yet another wearer whom had a Hulk on his wrist.

The Submariner was pretty much a great go-to watch; in that you could pair it with a tuxedo, casual wear, or t-shirt and jeans; and it would still looked at ease. I viewed the Hulk as pretty much a keeper in that I won't be flipping it off; but at the same time, I was hankering for a black-dial Rolex sports watch that would looked more formal. 


A chance to acquire the Explorer II (MRSP : RM31k) came about and I pulled the trigger. However, the novelty soon wore off and I realised that I still preferred a uni-directional rotational bezel, which was useful for many a daily chore. I may be flipping off this Explorer 2 in due course.

I thought back about the diver watches that I had and realised that my fave ones were the Pelagos 2-liner and the Submariner Ceramic Date. I liked the Pelagos' symmetrical dial minus the cyclops on the Submariner Date; but I preferred the heft of the Submariner Date to the light titanium feel of the Pelagos. At the same time, I liked the raised sapphire crystal that I had with my (flipped) Tudor Black Bay Burgundy. I also liked the Mil-Sub's matte dial, graduated bezel and vintage thinner lugs (the lugs on the Submariner's maxi-case looked as though they were on steroids, yet the bracelet remained at 20mm instead of 22mm, which could be a better match to the widen lugs).

I suddenly realised that there was ONE watch that would satisfy all my above preferences. I figured that I could flipped off most of my watches (sans the Hulk) to raise monies towards this piece, and I would be happy with this watch as a daily go-to wear. I was of course, referring to my latest acquisition in the...

Rolex Sea-Dweller Ceramic.








The Sea-Dweller was the bigger brother of Submariner, and its higher MRSP : RM40k ensured that most customers turned to the better-priced Submariner to scratch their Rolex diver itch. Therefore, this watch was rather rare in the wild and I dare said that I have not spotted a Sea-Dweller Ceramic on my associates' wrists thus far.

I know that this could well be my watch for life; and after acquiring this beautiful piece in all it's glory, I am now a happy man indeed.









1 comment:

  1. Hi Datuk, that is a very nice piece and wear it in good health. You always seemed to get the best watches at even better prices. I am in the queue for the SD4k at Rolex AD since 2015, you must have queued up even earlier than me. Can you share if you received any discount on the SD4k?

    ReplyDelete