Monday 18 April 2016

E-mail from Reader : Rolex Pricing

Well, the e-mail from a reader i.e. Steve that came in was worded along these lines :


Well, it ain't exactly the most polite of the e-mails that I received from time to time; but then again, it caught my attention for shooting straight from the hips. 

Far from being paid by Rolex, I actually have to pay them for servicing my watches as evidenced below. I don't even get a discount, as you could well see for yourself.


Well, I liked watches and Rolex is an established brand name in the horological world. It ain't the most expensive watch out there, it ain't the most decorative watch out there, and it ain't the most yuppie watch out there. But the watches that Rolex make- they tend to make them with the highest quality in mind, in its traditional hand-made manner, with the usage of patented technologies over time. For instance, their Oyster case was essential in bringing water-proof features into the watches of today, their usage of 904L stainless steel was still the pioneer and only one in the industry todate, etc.

I like Omega myself too, and if you looked through the watches that I had previously owned and flipped, you would find a couple of Seamaster Professional and Planet Ocean in the list. The only Omega watch that I still have in my collection now was the Speedmaster Panda, and I find that the Speedy was amongst the nicest-looking chronograph watch out there, beating even the Rolex Daytona. No doubt the Speedy's reputation as the first watch on the moon, helped in shaping my opinion so. But I digress.

For Diver and GMT watches, I find that the evergreen and oft-copied Rolex design still wins my attention hands-down. The design was practical, easy to read, and had an identity that was synonymous with Rolex. My favourite Rolex models in this genre were as the following :


For a new Rolex collector, I would highly-recommend the Rolex Submariner 114060. It had the very pleasing symmetrical look and was the original Rolex that was associated with James Bond from the Sean Connery era. An absolute beauty and easy to flip, a new collector couldn't go much wrong with the Submariner Ceramic No-Date (RRP : circa RM29k).


Next, we have the Submariner Ceramic Date, (RRP : circa RM33k) which was the best-selling Rolex diver watch. Buyers normally go for the Classic (black) or Hulk (green). I used to have the Classic piece, before I flipped it for the Hulk, which remained as one of my favourite watch.

For the GMT-Master 2 (RRP : circa RM34k), I have a preference towards the BLNR (blue-black), which was a very handsome watch in my eyes.

And finally, my fave-most Rolex diver watch was the Sea-Dweller Ceramic (RRP : circa RM40k). It has a window feature like the 116610LN, but without the Cyclops, so it looked symmetrical like that of the 114060. It's water resistance was to a depth of 1,220m as opposed to the Submariner's 300m. Here are my 2 fave Rolex diver watches side-by-side.





1 comment: