Sunday 10 April 2016

E-mail from Reader : What Rolex To Get Next?

I received the following e-mail from a reader i.e. Richard, which served as the basis for the current entry :


Now, I would admit that I have a soft spot for the Rolex brand. A jubilee ago (all pun intended as Rolex is renown for its jubilee bracelet), my grandfather had a goldsmith business (half the shop) and the other half was utilised by my Dad in his watchsmith business. Ask my Dad and you would find that many of those whom came to shop for gold jewellery would also asked if there was any "Kam Lor" (slang for gold Rolex watch) in stock- and of course, Rolexes' price were much more down-to-earth back then.


Rolex watch's price was on the expensive side, but you get a very good watch with its prestige- at a big chunk of your one-month salary perhaps. Today, you still get a very good watch with its prestige- but you would be looking at sacrificing some months of your salaries perhaps. Yes, Rolex's prices had been on the increase with every passing year and it may not be as easily accessible as per the yester-years. But their quality was time-tested and I remembered a vintage Datejust from the 70's that I had, which was still attractive and ticked beautifully even when placed next to the newer Datejust of today.

I wore the 70's DJ for my Datoship ceremony.

His-and-hers. My wife wore her ladies DJ with rubies.

Both my DJs were 40 years apart. Can you tell?

The DJ was a businessman's perfect dinner watch for networking functions. The jubilee bracelet was very comfortable on one's wrist and you would blend in easily with the crowd sporting a DJ. Therefore, I could understand Richard's collection having a DJ- although I would prefer the 36mm collection as it was IMHO the gentleman's classic size for a dress watch. Richard's choice of the DJ II at 41mm was IMHO more suitable for a sports watch than a dress watch size.





After the DJ, the next Rolex that I added into my collection was the Submariner Ceramic and Explorer 2. I initially had the classic black 116610LN, which was later flipped when I was offered a Hulk-green 116610LV. The SubC was a great sports watch and could be worn for any occasions.

I liked the Explorer 2 for its dash of orange GMT hand, which added casualness into a watch that was great on casual Friday and weekends. Between the 2 models, if I could only choose 1 piece, I would recommend that Richard pick the SubC, as it was a piece that everyone would recognise as a classic Rolex sports watch with its unidirectional bezel, maxi-dial design and 2.5x cyclops.


Both watches were definitely under his pre-set budget, and a point to note was that one could generally get a better price with Rolex ADs overseas (minus the pesky 6% GST locally which could add to quite a sum). From personal experiences, I found that Rolex ADs in UAE, Hong Kong, Macau and Europe tend to give very competitive pricing after discount and VAT rebates; although you have to factor in the Forex. Now that MYR has finally strengthened somewhat and was expected to reach 3.7 (which I thought was a tad too optimistic though) within this year, it should make the purchases easier to digest too.

All the best with your choice then.

11 comments:

  1. Hello Datuk, I see that you tend to flip you watches regularly. Are you interested to trade your Hulk with my SD4k? I was upset when a bunch of alumni friends thought that mine was a replica just because they didn't know that SD4K didn't have cyclops like Sub. I had to explain on the differences, but it was embarrassing. Your circle of friends must be of the hi-society so they may know watches better. Direct swap ok?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Rony, thanks for your trade offer but I am not keen to flip the 116610LV at the interim period. If you are letting go of your SD4000 at a good price, I would be interested to learn more about its details. Alternatively, what about a trade with the 216570 and top-up on my side? Thank you.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    4. I will think about it, Rony. Btw, I've deleted your contact no. above as I don't encourage readers to post their contact nos. here and getting spammed thereafter. Anyone could read the posts and comments here.

      Delete
    5. Datuk, the WhatsApp messages that I sent you this evening were still unread so I would thank you here. Mr Tan has picked up the watch and it was a prompt sale. Thank you for recommending your friend to buy the watch.

      Delete
  2. Hi Datuk Andy, I have e-mailed you again but would summarised here again. Thank you for your advice and if possible, can we meet up for a cup of coffee sometimes to talk about watches? I am staying in Bangsar South. From the overseas ADs that you mentioned, HK is the nearest and I don't mind a weekend shopping trip if there was a good deal. Can you recommend me the shop name? Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could try to survey at Emperor Watch & Jewellery (HK) Co Ltd. They have a no. of branches and each store carries a huge no. of stocks. I have found various variations per model at Emperor, and best of all, they were all ready stocks. But stocks tend to move fairly quickly (look at how the mainland Chinese buy Rolex watches there- I have seen a few times and they just pointed to a few pieces, negotiated the discount and just bought the lot like that!) so you got to act fast. Our purchases there included the 116234 (gents and ladies), and 216570.

      Delete
  3. Datuk, is the 1601 for sale? Fuiyoh, a 1601 that has been to the Istana! I collect vintage Rolex and if you can give a brother price, I am ready to buy, Datuk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jomashop Customer13 April 2016 at 04:34

    WHY NOT TRY JOMASHOP? I PURCHASED FROM THIS SITE BEFORE WITH SAFE DELIVERY TO MALAYSIA. GOOD PRICE COMPARED TO LOCAL ONE.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete