Sunday 19 August 2018

Casio G-Shock MTG-G1000 : The Real GPS Wave-Ceptor (Beginning)

Further to the Rough & Tough entry @ https://andywristwatches.blogspot.com/2018/07/rough-tough-g-shock-rangeman.html last month, I received a couple of e-mails if the Rangeman was the best G-Shock that there was out in the market. Well, if you have the extra funds to go towards a premium G-Shock, read on at your own risk.


Readers would know that I have a few G-shock watches, its the fave of the lot being the ABC-enabled Rangeman. I have brought the watch to its fair share of adventures during my travels, and its Multi-Band 6 reception enabled its automatic time-calibration vide radio wave at Japan, America, UK, Germany, and China.


Naturally, when Casio announced that it had further added GPS satellite radio wave reception to its G-Shock range, and now housed in Metal Twisted G-Shock (MTG) form, I knew that I have to get my hands on one to do a review.


I spoke to a few G-Shock boutiques but there was no ready stock as its retail price at circa RM6k was not exactly endearing to the general public. During a trip to the Johore Premium Outlet last year, I managed to chance both the above models and I dare say that they were pretty well-made and sported that premium feel, in comparison to the el cheapo resin-made G-Shock that we all knew so well. According to the salesperson, they were unable to extend any discount on the MTG models as these were rarer to come by and represented the flagship of their collectable models.


Given the rarity, I assisted a fellow collector to net a piece in the blue 1A2 variant, although I myself was not ready to plunge the dough as yet. After all, we were talking about RM6k on a G-Shock. Those monies could easily net one an entry-level Swiss watch along the likes of Oris or Tag Heuer. I further checked online prices and found pricing of new pieces from grey resellers ranging from RM4.8k - RM7.2k as per below :





Even pre-owned ones were being sold at RM5.5k, quite a king's ransom if you asked me :


Okay, now that we have established that we were not exactly going to net this MTG along the same cheap pricing that came with every other G-Shock, it was time to start scouting around to really get a piece to be reviewed accordingly. I opted for the more classic-looking 1A variant.





So how does the MTG looked when placed next to my fave Rangeman? Well, feast your eyes on these pictures and let me know which one would you prefer?










The MTG was quite the handsome-looking chunk of a watch, and it's not a low-profile piece; so you had better be prepared to attract a fair bit of attention from fellow watch enthusiasts if you were ready to have this as your daily beater. With this G-Shock, you don't actually wear the watch. The watch wears you.

1 comment: