Wednesday 1 May 2019

Caliber 6R : Sumo, Baby MM, & 62MAS

The next movement that I would speak about was Caliber 6R15/6R35, which was one of my preferred movement after Caliber 8L35. This was used in the mid-tier Seiko pieces such as Sumo, Baby MM300, and 62MAS; which typically cost between RM3k - RM4k in RRP. Take note that Malaysian RRP tends to be higher compared to Japanese RRP probably due to taxes or whatsnot, which was the reason that I preferred to import directly from Japan. And whenever I was in Japan shopping for the watches myself, I could also enjoy the VAT refund and therefore purchase the watches at a lower entry-price even.


The Sumo G2 was a good platform for my Franken Mod, and one of my preferred creation was the SuMMo that combined the Sumo G2 and MM300. Sumo G2 came without ceramic bezel and sapphire crystal, so I would upgrade these parts by myself.


Well, Seiko had been keeping track of our requests and Sumo G3 would come with sapphire crystal (but need to check on the bezel insert to be sure if it was still aluminium or upgraded to ceramic). Price had been bumped up to RM3k too in the process, and the green dial version in SBDC081 would be my preferred piece. In Sumo's size, the green piece would really be the Hulk now (as opposed to Rolex's relatively puny-sized 116610LV, which should really be called Banner, not Hulk).


Next, we have the Baby MM i.e. SBDC065, so called because it was supposed to be the stop-gap measure to collectors not wanting to spend RM8k (SBDX017) - RM15k (SBDX023) on the real MM300. The Baby MM has designs incorporated from the MM300, encased in a smaller and thinner case and with lower WR of 200m. Since most of the collectors these days were really desk divers, high WR was no longer a real concern in the real world. Today, it served more as bragging rights for collectors to sport high WR diver watches.



And lastly, the Caliber 6R15-equipped 62MAS would be my personal favourite in the aforetitled pieces. International buyers could choose between the blue-dialled SBDC053 or black-dialled SBDC051; but Seiko reserved the cream of the crop in the 62MAS family for its Japanese Domestic Market.


Introducing the SBDC077 Green Sea special edition that was relatively rarer and highly-collectible, that was reserved for the JDM. 


This was the coveted piece in the 62MAS family and I was looking forward to add this piece into my personal collection too. That shade of green was just so alluring. Since it's all about the superheroes these days, the Green Sea should be nicked "Green Lantern", no?






Which would be your pick amongst the 3 models above? Spin the bottle and share with us.

In the meantime, excuse me while I go look at 'em pictures of this piece that was en-roue to Kuala Lumpur at the interim period. And it has a great serial no. to boot :)




No comments:

Post a Comment