Wednesday 1 March 2017

Omega Speedy Panda


A watch collector contacted me earlier this morning to ask if I was willing to flip my Speedy Panda. I have 2 pieces of Panda actually, one featured here on the blog and another somewhat hidden from view due to its limited edition status. At the right time, it would surface some time eventually.

He informed that it was the Speedy Panda that had been featured on this blog sometimes. Granted, this piece was also very much a safe queen (or rather, a winder queen) and had not seen much wrist action. It so happened that I had taken some pictures of the Speedy Panda and Planet Ocean JB together the night before, pursuant to my return from abroad so I could then put the pictures here.


I had not intended to flip this collectible piece, but I was also curious as to the current value of the piece. To my surprise, I found that there were still some retailers with NOS in the market e.g. Amazon, but these pieces were sold with the grey retailers' warranty rather than the Omega manufacturer warranty. Expect to pay circa RM21k for this Speedy Panda, and that's before factoring in the international shipping and GST.



Mine came with Omega manufacturer warranty (till 2018), and with full boxed set. So the question was, should I flip this piece off? Speedy was very much a collectible piece, and Speedy in Panda form commands a good premium in the market. And if I do flip this off, what should be the price for the piece then?

If I do flip this off, the monies could go towards subsidising the NIB Rolex D-Blue that I was offered recently for RM54k. I kind of liked this piece previously, although it may not be the most wearable of piece given its large footprint; but given that Rolex had discontinued this model due to its lack of desirability, this could tip pricing to D-Blue's favour given a long enough holding period. Let's ponder over this tonight.

1 comment:

  1. This was previously released for the Japanese market, with red and white denoting the colours of the flag. Keep it and the value would increase further, bro.

    ReplyDelete