Friday 2 March 2018

My Yacht-Master : An Adventure Beckons!


For the longest of time, my fave Rolex piece was from the Submariner family. I started with the classic 116610LN, then moved on to 116610LV, and had the chance to be acquainted with 116613LB too. As of today, all 3 pieces of these Submariner watches had since been flipped.

I soon realised that every other person spotted a Submariner on their wrists too, whether genuine or otherwise. In order to have that lil' bit of differentiation, I moved towards the Sea-Dweller 4000 route. Now discontinued, I found the SD4k to be a great Submariner replacement, it had the classic looks but with better specs. On the other hand, it was also thicker and therefore wore less comfortably when matched with suit and tie. This watch had since been flipped.

I still wanted a Rolex with that classic Submariner look, but perhaps differentiated enough that it would not be just another run-off-the-mill Rolex similar to all the Toms, Dicks and Harries.


Through readings of Rolex past R&D, I found out that the Yacht-Master was actually meant to be a more luxurious replacement of the Submariner; but that at the last minute prior to launching the watch as a Submariner, the powers-to-be decided not to rock the toolish nature of the Submariner; and therefore designate the new look as that of the Yacht-Master.

Classic Submariner outlook - Checked!
Rhodium sunburst dial - Checked!
Luxurious Platinum bezel - Checked!
Triple-lock WR - Checked!
Thinner case - Checked!

I had initially gotten the watch for a quick flip @ https://andywristwatches.blogspot.my/2018/02/wts-bnib-rolex-yacht-master-116622.html, and there were several interests on the said watch. The 1st person whom viewed was a Rolex collector with various pieces, the 2nd simply wanted a luxurious Rolex sports watch and my YM fitted the bill, while the 3rd one exclaimed that he simply loved the serial no that sounded like "Forever, All The Way, Prosper and Live" in Cantonese. I soon had my asking price in hand. But if I let it go, I knew that it would be tough to get back a piece in this Rhodium dial combination and with such a beautiful serial no. I therefore decided to withdraw the sale.



And so I found myself wearing my fave PAM and driving over to Rolex Menara Dion on this last day of the Lunar New Year celebration, in order for them to remove the stickers and size up the bracelet. This was done in a jiffy and I soon had the Yacht-Master adorning my wrist tonight. The maiden wear. What pride!


Looks like I would be having new adventures with this piece, so look out for real world pictures and upcoming mid- and long-term reviews of this attractive piece. I must add that while the Submariner was so toolish, the Yacht-Master certainly had its charms with all the blings under the spotlights.

Simply beautiful!

1 comment: