Monday 7 January 2019

One's Speedy Journey : Mine Too




I started off with the typical Moonwatch too, first with the base model in hesalite, then flipped for the one with sapphire crystal. The former was with the Caliber 1861, the iconic hand-winding movement as used in the original Moonwatch since day one.


Then I chanced upon an NOS Speedy in Panda form and with an automatic COSC movement, and thought that I would try it out. It later became a regular in my wrist rotation, and was one of my spouse's preferred sports piece.




During Baselworld 2018, the Speedy CK2998 Pulsometer was released and it looked like the Speedy Panda that I had, only this piece was a limited edition for 2,998 pieces worldwide. I grabbed it like it's hot, and it was a really nice piece.



Then the Speedy Ultraman was released in limited edition for 2,012 pieces worldwide, and it was a pretty cool piece! Faux patina and with Easter eggs hidden on the dial and box. I knew that I had to grab a piece to add into my collection. Point to note was that all 2,012 pieces were sold-out with 2 hours from the online launch.




The Speedy poison could go real deep, and my AD associates knew that I was pretty deep into the Speedy Tuesday genre now. So when a NOS Apollo 17 45th Anniversary stainless steel piece, which was launched during Baselworld 2017 and sold-out for all 1,972 limited edition pieces, was found and communicated to me, I literally rushed to the AD and added the piece into my collection.




The Apollo 17 45th Anniversary also came in solid gold and was limited to 272 pieces worldwide, and on sold-out basis too during its launch in Baselworld 2017. This piece was appreciating like nobody's business and worth a small fortune as it looked even better than the stainless steel piece.

Other pieces of LE Speedy that were highly in demand amongst collectors included the following :









Indeed, the Speedy Tuesday was a dangerous collection to pursue into; as there're just so much emotional attachment and historical storyline attached to each of this LE pieces. Historical pieces that earned their places in any collectors' treasure chests.




2 comments:

  1. "then flipped for the one with sapphire crystal. Both were with the Caliber 1861,"
    Sapphire version is with 1863

    ReplyDelete