Friday 4 April 2014

Hamilton Khaki Field Chronograph (Model No : 3828)


Example of dial.
This is a new old stock Swiss watch that I collected along the way for my vintage collection from a watch boutique. The Hamilton Khaki Field Chronograph (vintage look) had commanded a RRP : USD2,000 (RM6,680) in the 90's and was pretty rare around this part of the world. The boutique had newly-serviced and polished this new old stock vintage watch, and advertised it for RM6,800.


I managed to negotiate for a lower cash purchase and the shop threw in a 6-month warranty from 27/3 - 27/9/14. If I had purchased it at full price, it would have come with 12-month warranty but the way I see it, any problems would have been pretty evident in the first 6 months of the watch. If the vintage piece had been serviced properly, time-keeping should be accurate and its outlook was truly almost-new with nary a scratch. Although more than 20 years old, this watch will tick happily away for many more years, I am sure.


The watch was wrapped in its plastic covers protecting the bracelet, and full bracelet links that have not been sized (shorten). The first thing that I did upon its purchase was to take off the bracelet and put on the Nato light brown leather strap that I had ordered, to complete its vintage look.

 
In my opinion, it looks good with the leather strap, although it may look even better had I managed to get the dark brown leather (out of stock). Further details of the watch are as per the following :

Movement: Automatic caliber Valjoux 7750.
Functions: Hours, minutes, sweep seconds, chronograph and date.
Water resistance: 50m.
Case:  42 mm (with crown) stainless steel.
Crystal : Sapphire.
Band: Stainless steel bracelet.
Dial: Vintage white.

Just imagine, the current Hamilton models have 9 alpha-numeric reference (eg. H32515155 for the Jazzmaster)- and this vintage piece only has 4 digits (3828). This watch has been worn in rotation with my other watches; and being my first Hamilton, I am rather happy with the purchase of this vintage watch.


Added :
And a comment from a fellow reader whom was looking for the exact same watch pointed me towards the vintage 3828 in black dial from an overseas seller. It was selling at RM3,800 after conversion (before courier fees and without warranty); but boy does it looked good too!

7 comments:

  1. Man I could really use that watch :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was googling on this watch and got to your site. Thank you for all the sharing. I just bought this Chronograph 3828 vintage from eBay UK for GBP650 and it's truly a beauty. They just don't make watches like this anymore, IMHO.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reading and yes, it's a really beautiful timepiece. I am lucky to get hold of mine in such pristine condition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to own this Hamilton vintage but quite hard to get. I saw one selling at https://www.collectorsquare.com/en/montres-et-horlogerie/242335-hamilton-chronographe-en-acier-ref-3828-vers-2002.html, at Euro850 (RM3,800) but it is a black dial. Where did you buy from? Does the shop still have a white dial? I have spared aside RM5,000 for this Grail acquisition. Hope you can help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have surfed the site you informed me and added the print screen above. The black dial looks good too actually. Good luck hunting for your Grail watch!

      Delete
    2. @Calvin
      I have a Hamilton Khaki Field 3828 that I want to sell because I didn't waer it much for the last 2 years. You can find my advertisement here (http://www.2dehands.be/bijoux-horloges/horloges/automatisch-zelf-opwindbaar-horloge/hamilton-chronograaf-3828-valjoux-195676942.html). It is written in Dutch (Belgium), but you can already see the pictures. If you are still interested you can contact me there.
      Regards!

      Delete
    3. Hi I currently have a Hamilton Khaki Field Chronograph (Model No : 3828) white dial. Contact me through here and will move on if interested Thank You.

      Delete