Saturday 12 April 2014

Orient M-Force Automatic (Model No. SEL03002M)


Orient's M-Force, short for mechanical force, has been released since 1997 and has quite a following for its rugged outlook and colourful dials. Today, I would be reviewing the Japan-made 40-hour reserve that was part of the 2011 M-Force collection, which I shall call Orange (no imagination here).

Specifications :
  • Men / Women:Men
  • Power Reserve: 40-hour Power Reserve Indicator
  • Crystal: Sapphire Crystal
  • Movement: ORIENT caliber 40N5A Made in Japan.
  • Clasp: Fold-over with Double Push Button Safety
  • Crown: Screwed-down
  • Case Material: Stainless Steel
  • Case Diameter: 46.00mm without crown
  • Case Thickness:13.30mm
  • Dial Color: Orange
  • Bezel Material:Stainless Steel
  • Bezel Function:120 Click Unidiretional Bezel
  • Calendar:Date
  • Band Material:Stainless Steel
  • Warranty Type:1 year


Readers would know that I have a liking towards divers' genre watches and the one watch from a Japan manufacturer that I have not had and many asking me to review, was the Orient M-Force. Well, I have just got my hands on a Japan-made version and the warranty card was stamped from its Japanese counterpart under a 1-year Japan Domestic Market warranty.

Generally, M-Force sells from RM1,000 onwards, with the Japanese-made version commanding a premium as per the norm. This Orange sells for USD715 (app RM2,388) and is harder to get here in Malaysia as our local market typically carries the more affordable ones for higher saleability.

 
The watch by itself was quite heavy, and the big dial quite striking and attracting attention easily. Time-keeping has been rather accurate as compared to my Swiss watches, and the 40-hour power reserve much appreciated since it would be worn in rotation with my other watches.

 
However, I felt that the stainless steel bracelet was a bit too light. For a watch in the sub-RM2k price range, I would have expected Orient to furnish it with a more solid bracelet. My Swiss watches' bracelets felt heavier and more solid; but then again, the Orient's bracelet felt like my Seiko's so I guess that's the standard that the Japanese adopted for the more affordable range.

Swap it with a rubber or leather strap then, and you would have no complaints. It feels rugged and is like a mechanical version of G-Shock. Quite a keeper, if I could add the observation.


1 comment:

  1. Actually, the Orient retails for $715.00 but you can get a discount in the current economy. I just bought one last week for $572.00 here in NY and have only praises for the watch. I have no issues with the bracelet that you complained about. To me, lighter is better than heavier, but that's just me.

    ReplyDelete