Monday 7 July 2014

IWC Aquatimer Chronograph Edition Galapagos Islands (Model No : IW376705)

I received the following e-mail which was rather interesting :

"... my father agreed to buy me a branded watch below RM20,000 for my 18th birthday. I know that there are many choices but I want my first watch to be the IWC Aquatimer Chronograph Edition Galapagos Islands (model no : IW376705), which my best friend received for scoring good marks in the last examination. I heard that the retail price is around RM25,000. Can you recommend any place that I could purchase this watch as used for my budget?"


It was interesting to me, because :


1) You are getting a RM20k budget for a watch purchase at the age of 18 year old?! Goodness, I wonder what that budget would balloon to when you're 21 year old?


2) Your friend, whom I deduced to be 18 years old too, received an Aquatimer Galapagos just for scoring good marks in his or her exam?! In my days, I would be over the moon for scoring good marks in exams as that meant a trip to the bookstore where I were allowed to pick my fave story book costing circa RM10.


The Aquatimer Galapagos is an interesting watch too. Lined under Aquatimer collection, this gents’ watch is presented in a robust round stainless steel case with rotary bezel, on a casual looking Black rubber strap, and fitted with one of the most reliable chronograph automatic movement, the IWC Caliber 79320 inside.


Finely manufactured in Schaffhausen, Switzerland, this gorgeous, highly functional timepiece sports a solid round case that is made of a premium, 316L grade stainless steel that offers an extra durability. The case measures 44 mm in diameter, 15 mm thick, and complemented with a Yellow and Black PVD coated Steel made bi-directional rotating bezel. The comfortable Black strap that is made of fine rubber measures approximately 20 mm wide, and it comes equipped with a deployant hidden folding clasp for convenient fitting.

As one of the Aquatimer Chronograph series, this 120m water resistant IWC 3767-02 has two impressive features: first, the highly functional Aquatimer family design that is specifically developed for diving; and second, the additional benefit of a self-winding mechanical chronograph.

Not just an average rotary bezel, the one fitted in this sporty watch is the newly developed rotating outer bezel that is particularly easy to use. The bezel’s markers are coated with SuperLumiNova --which remains luminescent for a long time under water, so that even if a diver’s electronic dive computer malfunctions, the luminescent markings on the hands enable him to time his decompression stops safely and precisely. Furthermore, a convex, high quality sapphire glass with glare-proofing is there securing the watch’s Black dial. And just like the bezel’s markings, the hands and the markers on its alluring Black dial are also coated with SuperLumiNova as well, making them remain visible in any light conditions. In addition, the timepiece also includes a mechanical gauge that allowing it to measures depth for up to 50 m while you're diving underwater.

Inside, the IWC IW376701 Aquatimer Chronograph employs the personalized IWC calibre 79320, a precise, Swiss made automatic chronograph movement with day and date at three that is built based on the Valjoux 7750. Beating at a high frequency, this self-winding caliber contains 25 jewels, and provides 44 hours of power reserve under when fully wound. And speaking of the chronograph, the watch has a large central seconds counter hand, along 30 minute counter and 12 hour counter at the 12 and 6 o’clock positions respectively, which all of its setting and adjustment can be conveniently done via the two push-buttons alongside the logoed screw down crown at the right hand side.


Okay, enough of the brochure information from IWC. Now to the real world information - prices. Google online and you would see that the US RRP : USD5,600 (app RM17,840). However, in Malaysia, the boutiques would have you know that its local RRP : RM25,500- but it comes with massive discounts as per the following :






Yes, you could realistically purchase a brand new Aquatimer Galapagos for RM16k; and as I am not affiliated with these shops whatsoever, I am not giving them the free advertisements vide my blog- but I am sending you an e-mail privately on the name, address and contact no of the shop so that you could visit the shop yourself.


Scouting through the web, I saw other adverts for the Aquatimer in various variants as per the following :


















Given the above choices, I would recommend that you purchase a brand new IWC Aquatimer Chronograph Edition Galapagos Islands for RM16k. If you're good at bargaining, you could strike an even bigger bargain. Have fun and Happy 18th Birthday! You're a lucky sod!

2 comments:

  1. By the way, if you don't need the chromo function, may I suggest you to also look at the Tudor Pelagos? This is a real diver's watch encased in titanium and has a very innovative clasp that adjusts according to the wrist expansion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer the chronograph because it makes the watch look more sophisticated and expensive. I googled your Pelagos and it looks like a cheap watch. I called the shop and they have the Galapagos in stock. I'll be getting one unit from them. Thanks.

      Delete