Tuesday 22 July 2014

Maiden Wear : Ball Hydrocarbon "Mad Cow" Edition (Model No : DM1036A-SAJ-BK)


This is my second Ball timepiece- the first piece being a Ball Fireman Night Train DLC @ http://andywristwatches.blogspot.com/2014/04/andys-clearance-sale-ball-fireman-night.html that I have since sold off for RM3,500 in April 2014 after 6 months of ownership since new, as it was a gift that was simply not quite tugging at my horological heartstrings.






I wasn't quite expecting to be adding another Ball to my collection so soon thereafter, but well, here it is... in the form of the Ball Hydrocarbon "Mad Cow" Edition. The "Mad Cow" in mind actually referred to speed skier i.e. John Hembel, whom was the 1st American to break 150 mph on skis. In 2003, he won the World Cup Championship and has remained the top of the sport since.


A typical "Mad Cow" boxed set should have the following :





The "Mad Cow" has the following specs :

Movement: Automatic caliber ETA 2834/6-2.
Functions: Hours, minutes, sweep seconds and day-date. Micro gas tubes on hour, minute, second hands and dial for night reading capability.
Shock resistance: 7,500Gs.
Water resistance: 300m.
Cold resistance : -40 C.
Case: Pure titanium in satin finish. 45mm, height 15mm. Anti-reflective sapphire crystal. Screwed-in crown with lock. Uni-directional, racketed, luminous bezel.
Band: Rubber strap with standard buckle, factory logo engraved.
Dial: Black.
Crown : Factory logo engraved.



For my piece, I have it strapped on the softer rubber band. The bezel, titanium case, crown, crown protector, luminous insert, rubber strap and buckle are all newly-changed at Ball Malaysia; so you'd be hard pressed to find a scratch on it.







The size wore nicely on my wrist and I gathered that this "Mad Cow" made a nice addition to complement the rest of the Divers in my timepiece collection. Looks like a keeper then!




If all goes well, I hope to also add the Ball Hydrocarbon NEDU into my collection in the near future. In the meantime, the Hydrocarbon MC would have to do. Wear your watch in good health, dear readers...

















5 comments:

  1. Homer Watchuseek22 July 2014 at 07:16

    Good choice on the Ball. I had one and traded it for an Aquaracer. Missed the Ball and been looking for another good example since. You selling?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Homer Watchuseek22 July 2014 at 07:18

      Just realised that you're not in the States. Are there still NOS for this edition in your country? How much?

      Delete
  2. You the man, Andy! Please keep us entertained still with more blog entries :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon Nedu black dial bought new at KLCC in March 2014. Full complete set including buoy and rubber strap. If you are interested to buy, I like to sell off this watch for RM5,000, to raise cash for a Day-Date that my AD just offered me. Please reply my e-mail. Thank you, sir.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Hing

    Interested in your Ball Hydrocarbon Nedu
    Please let me know how can i contact your goodself.
    U can email me at clj08@hotmail.com

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete