Sunday 6 July 2014

Thinking of Adding a Vintage Chronograph Piece - Tudor or Steinhart?

As per the aforementioned title, I'm thinking of adding a vintage chronograph piece into my collection. Well, not really a vintage chronograph but more like a current model modelled after a vintage chronograph piece. I am of course, referring to 2 watches inspired by the Tudor Monte-Carlo Reference 7169 released in 1973.


The above is how the Monte-Carlo looked like. The following were the 2 watches that were inspired by the Monte-Carlo :


The Tudor Heritage Chronograph Blue was released during Baselworld 2013, and commands an RRP : RM13k. However, the hype has since died down and one could realistically purchase this piece at RM9.5k these days.

The Steinhart Racetimer Blue was also released in 2013, and could be yours for just RM3.5k 

Looks-wise, I prefer the Tudor but movement-wise, I prefer the Steinhart as it has the ETA Voljoux 7750 that was easier to service and has plenty of spare parts anywhere. Movement-wise, Tudor is using a modular chronograph movement here - an ETA 289X with a Dubois Depraz chronograph placed on top, so it has a thicker case at 13cm.


There are plenty of readings that you could do on these magnificent watches at some of the following : HodinkeeA Blog to WatchGear PatrolWristwatch Review, etc.


In the meantime, enjoy some of these pics as sourced from MWF and the Net :












































2 comments:

  1. 2 things I've learnt from reading your blog- Steinhart brand and Malaysia Watch Forum. You mentioned these lots. We should emulate you chaps and have a great forum here in Britain too. And just so you know, I am ordering my very 1st Steinhart from Germany.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you still interested to get the Tudor heritage blue-colour chrono? I have a genuine piece, gift from my father but I prefer Tag Heuer Carrera 1887. It's 3 months old, only worn few times and looking new from shop. I can let it off for just RM9000 if you want. I'll check here again if you want just let me know. Or advertise here for me if you can. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete