Wednesday 4 March 2015

Re-visited : Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 45.5mm

Quite a few parties asked about the brand new RRP pricing of the Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean, and a few informed that they saw 2 sets of different pricing at the Omega Authorised Dealer for the same watch.

I doubt that the ADs would have typos on the very important pricing, so I would take a guess and believe that the watches were actually 42mm and 45.5mm ones. From the glass cases, they may looked similar so the readers could have got mixed up in that regards. To prevent the misunderstanding, you could march to the AD and asked for the regular PO or the PO XL The latter is slightly costlier compared to the regular version, while additional premium is placed on the PO XL James Bond Edition.

The below screen prints were from grey retailers, so their prices had been discounted downwards. Expect to pay circa 10-15% premium for Omega authorised sets from the ADs, but you do get the additional peace of mind of Omega manufacturer warranty. For me, when one buys a luxurious timepiece, I would prefer to buy from the AD (check the warranty card and papers) for the peace of mind plus the fact that I would be assured that it's a genuine timepiece.

42mm, 2500D caliber, stainless steel caseback with engravings.

45.5mm, 2500D caliber, stainless steel casebook with engravings.

45.5mm, 2500D caliber, stainless steel casebook with engravings.

45.5mm, 8500 caliber, sapphire crystal caseback.

Personally, I prefer the 2500D movement (currently used in Omega Seamaster Professional 300m Co-Axial with Ceramic Bezel) as per below :


This caliber is thinner and easier to service (if you should opt to service it vide watch smiths outside of The Swatch Group); so for a huge 45.5mm watch, the thinner profile would ensure a better fit on one's wrist.


In any case, I always find the Planet Ocean to be a handsome watch and with its features, you'd be hard-pressed to find another professional diving watch with 600m WR, helium escape valve, chronometer certified, solid links, and with great wrist presence, in its price range.

13 comments:

  1. Hello Andy, remember me? Can give discount since I have bought 2 watches from you before? I know how you treat your watches so I don't even warrant a viewing. If you agree to RM9,500, I'll come to pick up this evening. Cash on hand but not enough for RM10,500 mah. Okay, my friend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lew, Happy Chinese New Year! Let me think about it, okay? Thanks for the offer!

      Delete
  2. How come One Utama selling at RM18000 but you selling so low price? Original or AAA?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The logic for the pricing was that I have to discount the price of the watch to make it attractive, as opposed to the new pricing from AD. And mine is 100% original and with warranty from Omega. If you buy the watch from me at RM10,500 and you march into Swatch Group Malaysia and they verified that the watch (same serial no and Omega dot untampered by you) you bought from me was a replica or fake, I'd return you the RM10,500 plus give you the watch for free. I don't buy fake stuff. Period.

      Delete
  3. Hey Andy, I offered you my 2-month old Pelagos a few months back for RM10k but you didn't take it up. How about a direct swap and RM2k from me? I called you this morning but you didn't pick up my call (pls check missed call under 01x-xxx9880). Call me back to trade pls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rain, Happy Chinese New Year! Let me think about it, okay? Thanks for the offer!

      Delete
  4. http://www.mudah.my/Omega+Planet+Ocean+with+Box+and+Paper-32549992.htm

    Original Omega Planet Ocean with box and paper. Receipt dated 3 years old at RM16,000 from KL authorised dealer. Selling cheap to upgrade to Planet Ocean LiquidMetal. Personal warranty 1 month. This is the more expensive 45.5mm, not the cheaper 42.0mm Planet Ocean. Thank you.

    RM13,000 nett.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girard, you could have asked for my permission to post your advert link here, before doing so, you know. Good manners go a long way, mate.

      Delete
  5. Share my advertisement at http://www.mudah.my/Omega+Planet+Ocean+with+Box+and+Paper-32549992.htm

    Original Omega Planet Ocean with box and paper. Receipt dated 3 years old at RM16,000 from KL authorised dealer. Selling cheap to upgrade to Planet Ocean LiquidMetal. Personal warranty 1 month. This is the more expensive 45.5mm, not the cheaper 42.0mm Planet Ocean. Thank you.

    RM13,000 nett.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girard, you could have asked for my permission to post your advert link here, before doing so, you know. Good manners go a long way, mate.

      Delete
  6. I just bought a 3-year used PO2500D with zero warranty last month for RM9900 from a used watch shop in Berjaya. The shop gave me a 6-month warranty but when I went to them to check that the time was not accurate, they told me that I had to pay for labour and parts. Warranty only meant that I could bring to them, and they would in turn help to look at the watch and charge me the cost of outside repair and their "help" to send the watch to the repair centre. What a load of BS! If only your advert had been out sooner, I'd gladly pay the additional RM600 to get your PO2500D with Omega warranty. Still, I do find the PO2500D to be a comfortable and well-engineered piece, and after getting this watch, I hardly wear my Tudor Black Bay Red and Tudor Pelagos anymore. The 2500D and Submariner are my favourite pieces in my collection now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw a 2006 PO2500 (shop unsure A, B or C caliber) at Berjaya used shop also for RM6,700. 6 month shop warranty also but they can't confirm what was included in the warranty. Some scratches but I think can polish off at Omega. Worth to buy?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry that I have been unable to show the watch as I had been travelling overseas for business matters. I shall be back to Malaysia next week and would revert to your calls/sms/e-mails. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete