Saturday 2 January 2016

Tudor Pelagos' Sibling (Of Sorts)

I am looking at diver watches with crazy-arse lume right now. Yeah, I know- that was the withdrawal syndrome from going cold turkey on the Tudor Pelagos. Amongst my watches, one of the most beautiful (I would not include Ball as theirs were tritium tubes) lume was that of the Pelagos, and I used to charge her up just to look at the lume (as it spins in the winder, in absolute still of darkness).


It's actually quite fun to do so, and you should try it. I directed a ceiling spotlight to centre on my winder on the shelf; and after a couple of hours of light, when I switched off all the lights in the house, the lume on all the watches would shine like X'mas lights. Very nice and soothing as they spun in the night. And one of my favourite lume to watch was the Pelagos'.

Well, after her new owner (whom I could see was really happy with her and was simply gushing about her) picked her up, I found myself looking at the winder last night and missing something. Sure, the lume from the twin Tunas and the PAM ain't slouches; but there was something not quite there. I then realised that it was the gorgeous blue and the snowflake hands. And the lume throughout the bezel, instead of just the centre pearl like that of my Sub. I needed to find a replacement fast.


And I came across the above lume shot. At first, I thought that it was of the IWC Aquatimer's, but I remembered that Aquatimer had different colour lames, not a consistent blue as per the above shot. A quick check revealed that the Aquatimer was as per below :


More Googling and checking revealed that the blue lume above belonged to a micro-brand called Prometheus, which was based in Portugal. The specific model to which the lume belonged to was Poseidon, their deepest-rated diver watch with the WR capped at an unbelievable 3,500m!!!

It was a shame that the watch was not using an ETA 2824-2 as that of the Pelagos, but I supposed the decision to go with the Miyota 9015 (essentially Citizen's version of the ETA 2824-2 with similar 28,800 bph) was for cost considerations. They came in 2 cases- stainless steel and bronze.



I was looking at the Poseidon in bronze (since I had sold off my bronze watches in December 2014 and never added any after that)


and in blue, and this would be the specs :



Let's not kid ourselves- this ain't no Pelagos but it costs but a fraction of the Pelagos (RRP : RM16,500), and with crazy-arse lume. It'd probably be a good addition in my collection until I find a better replacement. And of course, I could always flip it off again if it doesn't quite sing to me in due course. So shall I go for the Poseidon? Add another micro-brand in my collection?

On the other hand, I placed an advert with regards to the Tuna "Dracula" and there was a taker on the very same day for the asking price of RM2,200. Tuna rocks!



Looks like I may be buying and flipping more watches from micro-brands this year. Let's see how it goes...

2 comments:

  1. i just buy the only piece at americana watch, got rm50 discount buy cash, so total is rm2600. very nice to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the Seiko Tuna 50th Anniv is a nice piece. Bluefin or Dracula, yours?

    ReplyDelete