Saturday 18 February 2017

Seiko Turtle : Cheap & Cheerful


Readers would know that I like Seiko watches. They were cheap and cheerful, yet robust and dependable. I have had quite a few Seiko watches in my collection; but there were a few notable designs that tugged my heartstrings to purchase more than a piece of the same model.

The Seiko Tuna 50th Anniversary was the first to come in pairs. The black and blue pair encased in ceramic shrouds, were handsome pieces that simply shouted for attention on one's wrist. A bit loud, but in a playful kind of mannerism.



The next Seiko model that did the same was the Turtle Re-issue. I first bought a Pepsi, then added an Emerald LE, a pair of PADI SE, a Blue J1, thereafter a Blue Lagoon LE. The Turtles were simply cheap, cheerful, and colourful- and with character that would put watches costing many times in RRP to bow in embarrassment.












Update #1 : I am still on the waiting list for a Turtle Blue Lagoon LE at the Seiko AD here. Found a private seller in Singapore with a LNIB set going for RM1,880 but he was only comfortable dealing face-to-face. Let's see if I could arrange for a friend or relative over there in Singapore, to seal the deal then. Keep your eyes peeled hereabouts to see if I managed to add another Turtle to my collection next week or so.


Update #2 : The private seller was not comfortable with the courier arrangements that I proposed, as he felt that it had risks involved. Looks like his deal would be with a fellow Singaporean deal then. I checked with many ADs but none had a Blue Lagoon LE available. I had purchased watches from overseas ADs before so I asked them to spread the word around; and I was just informed that an overseas AD had 1 piece available. I quickly made the necessary payment and am now waiting for the watch's arrival.

2 comments:

  1. I have a Blue Lagoon new in box. Watch is in JB, purchased from SG. Will let go at RM1,600. Interested?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could get you brand new sets of Seiko SRPB11 for RM1,850 each, Seiko Singapore warranty. Price may fluctuate according to exchange rate. Could deal in Kepong.

    ReplyDelete