Thursday 2 February 2017

(Seiko) Turtles In Time


Seiko brought back the 6309 Turtles from the past, and updated them for the modern times in the form of the SRP Turtles in 2016. They became huge hits as expected, and ADs couldn't replenish stocks in time to catch up with the collectors' demand. And while I normally could get a decent discount from the ADs due to repeated purchases, the Turtles were going at retail due to the lack of stocks.





SRP779 : USD479 RRP

Fine, so I got my hands on the Turtle Pepsi (SRP779K1), but then found myself hankering for the Turtle PADI Pepsi (SRPA21). The Turtle Pepsi was going at circa RM1,500 in the market, matched with a rubber strap that was lint-magnet. Matched it with Iso straps as per my example above, and you were good to go.


SRPA21 : USD525 RRP

The PADI was more attractive than the Pepsi in every other way- a blue sunburst dial, PADI logo on dial, red marks on the chapter ring, red minute hand, etc. Priced at RM2,070, it was rarer (no idea on the production cap), came matched with bracelet (solid end-links), and a relatively more special box. I have placed an order with the AD for some time, and was just only informed that I could expect to have a piece within this month as they have a batch of 2 pieces for February 2017. I planned to match this piece with the orange Iso strap.


SRP773 : USD495 RRP

Another Turtle piece that I was interested in getting was the Turtle Blue (SRP773); not in K1 forms (made in Malaysia) as per Pepsi above but rather in J1 form (made in Japan). The AD informed that the SRP773J1 (dial has "MADE IN JAPAN") was limited to 1,000 pieces and that it would be easier for them to order for SRP773K1. The search for SRP773J1 continues; and I would be matching this piece with the blue Iso strap pursuant to the acquisition.


SRPB11 : USD575 RRP

Yet another Turtle piece that caught my fancy was the Turtle Blue Lagoon (SRPB11), that was limited to 3,500 pieces and came with both the bracelet and rubber strap. This retails for RM2,500 (street price circa RM1,900) and I would take a look at the actual piece before making a decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment