Friday 10 February 2017

The Fun Begins : Seiko Turtle PADI Modifications


As readers would know, I have a Seiko Turtle PADI, which I really adored. Now don't tell my spouse this, but I have another in-coming Turtle PADI in the courier coming over by next week.

I do wonder if any of you were having similar Turtle-mania like myself, whereby I just can't seemed to get enough of Turtles in my collection. And because I have a self-imposed limitation of watches in my winder at any one point in time (least that I re-visit the episode whereby I have too many watches such that it no longer made sense as per a few years ago), that meant that I would have to flip some other watches in my collection to make do for the in-coming pieces. The Lum-Tec M60 GMT, Archimede Flieger A Heritage, and Mondaine Stop2Go recently moved on to new collectors from this Turtle-mania episode.

For the in-coming Turtle PADI, I meant to use it for modifications. The one above would be kept in stock condition, and the new one to be modified accordingly.

Bezel : "Shark 1" bezel, which looked menacing with its rendition of shark teeth all around the bezel. Cost : RM220.


Bezel Insert : If this looked similar, it's because it was done in the manner that had defined Omega Planet Ocean's bezel all this while. I used to have a PO 45.5mm, and the bezel colour reminded of my Tudor Black Bay Burgundy, so I thought that this would be a good bezel to bring together some nice memories. Cost : RM80.


Crystal : When it came to crystal upgrade, the normal route would be sapphire crystal with blue AR, to replace the Seiko Hardlex mineral crystal. I intended to go the double-dome way, and with green AR similar to Rolex Milgauss (that should make the green LumiBrite pop!). Cost : RM200.


The parts above would cost in the region of RM500, and I would need to locate a handy watchsmith in KL to assist on the project. This should be an interesting project and am waiting for all the parts to come together to take this further.

Keep your eyes peeled there for the progress!

2 comments:

  1. I am interested to mod my Seiko Turtle and Tuna also. Please share with me your watchsmith and is he good?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are a group of enthusiasts on Seiko modified watches. We are looking for a watchsmith to help us with our watches too. Have 10 pieces now. Can you recommend?

    ReplyDelete