Friday 5 January 2018

Gold, Silver, Bronze : Zelos Hammerhead


Bronze in the mirror of the form, wine of the mind.

I decided to wear a piece that had been residing in my winder for a while now. This being the 3rd working day of the year, and bronze being the 3rd place, that would both add up just nicely together.

You may have seen the said watch in my winder pictures from other entries, and have not read anything about it. Well, that was all for good fun... and I have had quite a few e-mails asking about this piece. Just to keep the mystery going for a bit, I decided to write about this watch now that there were more than 10 queries on the said watch. So here it is, dear readers, presenting to you the Zelos Hammerhead Bronze in its virgin condition.



You could recall that I wrote about a micro-brand called Zelos in March 2017 with entries such as Zelos Avant-3 and Zelos DMT. I was going through a micro-brand phase at that time with purchases such as Magrette (New Zealand), Prometheus (Portugal), and Moto Kuore (Australia). Quite a few readers wrote in to ask if I could do a review on Zelos (Singapore) and seeing that this was a brand from the Lion City that was Malaysia's very neighbour, I thought that I should really give it a try in the spirit of neighbourliness.

I meant to purchase the Avant model; but I noticed that the readers specifically asked for the tough-as-nails Hammerhead. There were quite a few variants of the Hammerhead in stainless steel and bronze versions, and they were produced in small batches such that they seemed to be sold out as soon as they were put on sale at the website. They were going faster than hot potatoes really!


I got in touch with Zelos' founder, Elshan (whom by the way, was a friendly chap) and he soon had my name in for a piece of Hammerhead. I chose to purchase the sunburst blue dial with blue ceramic bezel (2nd one from left).


After a couple of months, the end result came in a package along these lines :



Yup, even the warranty card was pretty impressive so I had high expectations on the Hammerhead contained therein. And I wasn't left disappointed.


Readers would remembered how I have been modifying the Seiko Turtles that I purchased with high-dome crystals that cost a small bomb. Well, with the Hammerhead, no such modification was necessary as it came equipped with a high-dome crystal that would rival that of the Rolex Deepsea Challenge, well, to an extent. And all these while being water-resistant up till 1,000m.


Yes, 1,000m! That was not a typo. In comparison, my RM32k Omega Planet Ocean was good for 600m while my RM38k Rolex Sea-Dweller was good for 1,220m. This Zelos Hammerhead cost but a fraction of those Swiss watches' RRP, at a mere RM2.6k.

As per the pictures above, the lume was simply crazy and this watch would shine like a torch after a short exposure to some source of light. Amongst all the micro-brand watches that I had bought, this Zelos piece was probably the best deal in town. Some of the other features included the following :


If you chance upon an opportunity to own a piece of this behemoth bronze piece, go ahead and grab it before it was grabbed by others. A talking piece at such a low entry price, was simply too good a deal to miss!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad that I subscribed to your blog. Very impressive piece and good review. I'm ordering a piece then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andy, love your writings. Since you recommend this brand, will get a piece for my collection too. Hope it's good.

    ReplyDelete