Saturday 27 January 2018

MM300 : A Chance Meeting With A Reader



I receive lots of e-mails for this site, and I would apologise that I may not have the time to answer each and every one on a private basis. One that came last night was from Derrick, whom pointed out to local sales on BNIB pieces of Seiko MM300 or SBDX017; and asked if I could get one and do a quick review of the piece (as he was interested to get into the action if it was a good piece). In fact, he pointed out that he was willing to pay me 90% of my purchased price, if I decided to flip the watch to him within 2 months' time.

I have had a fair bit of interest in the MM300 as documented @ https://andywristwatches.blogspot.my/2018/01/pull-trigger-seiko-marine-master-300.html, and so I messaged the above 2 sellers. The one selling at RM7,500 promptly reverted that he wanted to sell it off ASAP, BNIB full boxed set; but the catch was that we need to deal on an immediate basis as he was moving away from KL this afternoon.

Since I already have a ready buyer for the watch at RM6,750 (90% of the purchased price) and my exposure works out to be RM375 per month (for 2 months during the period of review), I could get it with no worries on any subsequent flips. Readers following this blog would understand that I like to buy watches for the reviews, and would thereafter flip them off at a rather high haircut within the warranty period.


I drove to MBB but there was a long crowd there. So I drove to OCBC and got my monies. While at the bank, I met up by chance with another reader whom purchased a Speedmaster Hesalite from me previously. He asked if we could have a drink together and we proceeded to a cafe near the bank.

"So, what's with the rush? Any pieces that you're letting go soon?"

I explained to him that I was to pick up a piece of MM300 if time permits. Turned out that he has an MM300 (the initial SBDX001), and he shared with me on the following :
  1. The bracelet was cheap and flimsy, such that he ended up buying the above Jubilee style bracelet for better comfort;
  2. The watch was rather tall and bulky;
  3. For the relatively high price by Seiko standards, he felt that the hardlex crystal should have been upgraded to sapphire, and the painted bezel to ceramic;
  4. The mono-block construction meant that any repairs could only be done back at Seiko Japan;
  5. The movement was unregulated, but his regular watch shop was unable to regulate for him due to the mono-block above.
In fact, he offered his MM300 to me for just RM4,500; if I was interested. He informed that the bezel had some scratches; but other than that, it was good. And it came with the above Jubilee bracelet that it was mounted on, plus the original bracelet and waffle rubber strap.

SBDX017 with Jubilee bracelet
That got me to put on my thinking cap for a bit. I actually liked the fact that it had a mono-block construction design for better water resistance without the need for helium valve; but repairability would be a hassle. 



I have had some watches constructed with solid blocks of stainless steel (Ball Hydrocarbon John Hembel) and titanium (Ball Hydrocarbon Space Orbital ii), yet those came equipped with ETA movements that could be easily regulated as the caseback could be opened as per the norm standards. Sapphire crystal came as standard too. And those were flipped off at 50% discount off the RRP.

Perhaps getting the SLA017 or SPB051 would make better sense then. Let's toy with the ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment