Saturday 24 February 2018

An Old Love Affair : Seiko SKX009J1


I kind of remember that many years back when I just started off this blog, I was very much into Seiko watches. Over time, the tastebuds changed and I concentrated more on Swiss watches.

Well, I am on holiday now and just before I came along, along came some packages containing an old love affair in the Seiko SKX009J1. This was the Japan-made variant, as printed on the dial and carried a premium over the Malaysian-made K1 model.

I used to have this exact same model but flipped it off for silly money, about 4 years ago. The below was the watch that I had back in 2014. That was me considering if Cobra leather strap, which I found in the fields, would looked good on the watch.



Fast forward 4 years later and the Japan-variant was seen doing about RM1,800 these days, depending on the Forex movement.



And today, I received the very same watch and paired it with a pair of Jubilee bracelet from Strapcode. The bracelet fitted like glove and was well worth the RM250 asking price, surpassing in quality compared to the initial Seiko Jubilee bracelet that was both too light and creaky to be of acceptable standards. I should probably mentioned that the initial Z22 rubber strap was rubbish too. Seiko had made lots of improvements with the Z22 silicon strap as used for the SRP turtle re-issue watches; but they still used the same inferior strap for the SKX series.

The aftermarket bracelet felt so comfortable and was just like an old lover that had come back for a cuddle, and you knew every nook and cradle that made her squealed delightfully. And the after-market bracelet was akin to her having learnt new skills that would take you to greater heights in the pleasure department. 

It felt so good that the PAM366 that had followed me for the trip, was relegated to second fiddle for the interim period.

Imagine, for circa RM2k, you could have a package that would be a daily-beater that would not break the bank. For sure, it ain't no MM300, not to mention having even an ounce of the Swiss premium look, feel and quality. Heck, the SKX007J1 didn't even had hacking and self-winding movement.




But make no apologies, the SKX007J1 was just like the little steam engine that could, puffing and bellowing at its own speed and not caring about the rest of the progress in the horology world. It has stayed true to its design and form since more than 2 decades ago upon its inception. Sometimes, it felt good to have a no-nonsense piece like this.


No comments:

Post a Comment