Friday 8 June 2018

In My Book : Reservation and Viewing of Watches



I must thank a fellow reader whom referred me to the above, and the kind collector whom shared out the above Rolex Submariner tag with the rest of us collectors. It seemed to be a rather rare tag, which explained on the triple lock mechanism on the Rolex Submariner's crown; so I dare say that the owner had a nice piece of Rolex history on his hand, all pun intended (LOL, it was on his hand, geddit :)

Pursuant on the earlier advert on the Triple Submariners, there had been a flurry of e-mails sent to toyotaharrier240g@gmail.com and messages to my WhatsApp, from interested collectors. I would share on the below 2 examples, which seemed to be repetitive from some of the collectors to an extent.

1) Reservation of Watches


Many times, I have had collectors informing that they would like to reserve a certain watch from me. Previously, I had acceded to such requests but after a few occurrences whereby a few persons had a change of mind and/or kept giving excuses on the collection date and/or fund availability, I started to impose a deposit collectible for the reservation of watches. Not a small amount at RM10k, mind you, as many of you whom purchased from me prior to this would know. But this practice had consistently weeded out the main-main crowd; and those whom paid had first right of refusal to the watch on sale. So it was a win-win situation for both parties.

2) Viewing of Watches





At any point in time, I might have a few watches available for sale. One of the most commonly-received request was on the viewing of watches. As some of you would know, those of you whom came as genuine collectors would tend to spend a good amount of time chatting with me on watches. I liked talking about watches and it was cool to meet like-minded collectors. And then, there were those from previous experiences, whom only wanted to view the watches in actual artefact before proceeding with purchases elsewhere. 

There was a chap whom wanted to view a Rolex watch, and we arranged for his viewing at my place. During the viewing, he requested to take pictures of the said watch from different angles and kept asking about how to tell genuine from replica ones. After a couple of mins, I could gauged that he was not really interested in getting my watch. It later transpired that he wanted to buy a pre-owned piece but the seller didn't want to deal at Rolex Menara Dion; and he himself had not seen an actual piece of the model as it was unavailable at a few ADs that he ventured to, so he used mine as the tuition piece. After a few such episodes, I no longer allow people to just view my watches unless I could feel their passion as watch collectors.

Yet, there would be others like the collector in the messages above, whom wanted to view the 114060LN, 116610LN, 116710BLNR, and 116610LV together; and I would accede to his request. This was because I knew him as a real collector having purchased from me before, and I knew that it was almost impossible to view all these highly-demanded sports models together at ADs. Since I have them in my possession, I don't mind sharing for him to get a better picture of these watches.

At the end of the day, we were all watch collectors and bounded together by our passion towards such watches. Sharing is caring, so we should share our resources but we must also understand that respect was a 2-way street. So once we earned each others' respect, the sky's the limit from thereon.

Enjoy your watches, fellow readers...

No comments:

Post a Comment