Friday 1 June 2018

SubC > SD43 > SD4k

Quite a few readers wrote in yesterday after seeing my advert on the SD43, if they should go for the piece since it was a bit of a bargain. 1 asked if he should upgrade his SD4k to the SD43.



My reply to all and sundry was similar i.e. if they intend to wear the watch, then get the one that would fit them the best. Between the SD43 and SD4k, I would prefer the SD43 as the proportions were better matched. Therefore, one would not get that top-heavy feel that the SD4k tend to give.


But in real life, how many of us would utilise the additional diving capabilities that the SD43 was meant for? It's heavier and chunkier; so unless your wrist is of a bigger size to carry the watch properly, the classic SubC would still be the better bet for sure. 

So in a nutshell, SubC > SD43 > SD4kNow, go say your piece in the comments :)

2 comments:

  1. Spoken like the real expert. I'm a supporter of the Submariner too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last year in 2017 Rolex introduced the updated Sea-Dweller 126600 in a 43mm wide case also in steel. Like the short-lived Rolex Sea-Dweller 4000 116600 (2014-2017), the newer Sea-Dweller now needs to fight for its right to exist. I also need to explain to myself why I like the 40mm wide Submariner. I think part of it is because the Submariner has such amazing proportions and the Sea-Dweller 43mm simply tries to blow it up and add a dash of red. I suppose there is a market for that, but my wrist isn’t part of that crowd. I think anyone who can properly pull off the Sea-Dweller 126600 watch should certainly do so.

    Even though there are more common elements between the Submariner and the Deepsea than I have the patience to list out, these don’t wear like the same watch. Yes, they are both traditional-style Rolex diver’s watches. They also wear very differently and for 2018 the Deepsea 126660 finally wears as comfortably (scaled up) as a Submariner and doesn’t visually suffer from an undersized bracelet. For me the biggest improvement with the 2018 Deepsea is the better proportioned case with matching bracelet. The watch offers almost nothing new (updated movement), except for the same Deepsea watch wearing experience, only better.

    ReplyDelete