Saturday 8 December 2018

International Parcel Hub @ LCCT : 5% SST On Watches

The 5% SST on watches came into practise on 1st September 2018. I had a shipment of 4 in-coming watches, which were anticipated to arrive by Christmas 2018; so when I received a call from Pos Malaysia informing me that the parcels were detained by Customs, I knew that a visit to the Customs was in the pipeline.


To be fair, Pos Malaysia had a service to clear the parcels from Customs; but at RM50 per parcel (not including the actual SST payment), I thought that I would do well to settle the matter myself. The personnel on the other line then informed me to proceed to KLIA given my confirmation that I would like to retrieve the parcels myself.


I would share my experience so that you could avoid the obstacles that I faced. Firstly, the instruction to clear the parcels at KLIA was a mistake. I drove there, proceeded to Pos Malaysia KLIA and was informed by the personnel there that the actual international parcel hub was at the old LCCT, which was some 20km away. The personnel informed me that they had to entertain many people whom go there to collect their parcels, only to be re-routed to LCCT thereafter.


Next, once I reached LCCT, I was informed that I should have my parcel IDs ready. The personnel there informed that the Pos Malaysia caller should have informed me the parcel IDs during the call; otherwise I would have to check from other departments to retrieve the IDs. While the departments were just a stone's throw from each other, I was sent running from one counter to another, to pass on some papers to and fro. It seemed that computers and phones had yet to see the light of the day over there.


After retrieving the parcels, one would then be required to bring the parcels over to Customs and open them for the checking. After the assessment of the purchase invoice (do remember to bring these along), the Customs would then state the SST amount payable and you could then make the necessary payment accordingly.

But well, now that the parcels were safely in my custody, I would be tinkering with them over the weekend :)

No comments:

Post a Comment