Saturday 22 December 2018

Tuna Wars : The Empire Strikes Back


After my entry on the Emperor Tuna @ https://andywristwatches.blogspot.com/2018/12/emperor-tuna-otw.html, a number of readers wrote in to propose that I go for the real menacing Emperor Tuna in the SBBN025 aka Darth Tuna. Some reasoned that the SBDX014 aka Rose Gold Tuna, and SBBN027 aka Yellow Tuna; were just too flashy and did not portray the toolish nature of the Emperor Tuna.

Well, to each was his own, but by the time the 10th e-mail came in on the same topic, I knew that I simply had to get the Darth Tuna into my collection for my personal assessment- even if it meant that it would be a quick buy and flip.


The Darth Tuna retailed at circa RM8.3k, which was on the pricey side in my books for a quartz piece. While the other costliest quartz watch that I had in my collection i.e. Casio MTG-G1000's RM7.2k RRP was high, it was equipped with a truckload of functions. The Darth Tuna, ummm not so much, although it did boast of the 1,000m water resistance and Seiko deemed it so important such that it specially created a hi-beat 7C46 quartz movement just for this series. That's the Grand Seiko equivalent of the quartz movement to the rest of us.

Cost-aside, the next thing was availability. I checked with a few Seiko ADs and nope, nada in stock. Checking with a few websites that I have procured from showed none in stock too.





Drastic times called for drastic measures. A couple of calls to some contacts later and I have a unit coming my way.

... to be continued @ http://andywristwatches.blogspot.com/2018/12/tuna-wars-emperor-strikes-back-ii.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment