Wednesday 17 April 2019

Franken Mod : Seiko SKX007J1 Planet Ocean (Challenge Completed)



This has been a Franken Mod that took some 4 months in the making. I first wrote about this SKX007J1 Planet Ocean in December 2018, when the first part of the mod works had taken place and the piece was beginning to look like a PO, albeit incomplete as yet. 






Note that in the above pictures, the watch was still utilising the 7s26 movement and the original small crown. I preferred a hacking and hand-winding movement, so it was essential to further modify it with the NH36A movement.

Given that the design of the original crown and stem was such that they were undetachable from the 7s26 movement, I had to further source for Dragonshroud's Jumbo crown and stem. All the parts arrived by March 2019, afterwhich my watchsmith could then continue on the mod works to be done. 

Fast-track forward to April 2019, and the final product had just arrived and it was looking fine indeed!











I placed some of these pictures on FB yesterday and there were queries from interested modders to undertake a similar project. The queries ranged from where to get the parts and the cost involved. Well, sharing is caring so here goes :












From the above parts, the total cost of the project (inclusive of base watch and parts) amounted to circa RM2,300, with an additional RM300 being watch mod and time adjustment works. One could probably spend lesser than RM2,600 on such a mod project; but I wanted good parts and these came at a price. Still, I thought that the final product would not looked out of place when it was compared to the Planet Ocean pieces in my collection.



Good luck on your own mod projects, fellas!






NEXT : Franken Mod @ Mon5ter Wave #1

Modification-related Blog Entries :

2 comments:

  1. Datuk, you really transformed this watch into a PO. So much details, right to the crown and bracelet. Is it for sale?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Datuk, I'm willing to pay RM2,300 for this watch. Can you sell it to me? This would looked nice next to the MM300 that I got from you.

    ReplyDelete